18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Poll Calguns Data Migration Round 2 - Aug 3

Take a survey

How long til they come back up?

  • On Schedule - Monday

    Votes: 3 1.8%
  • 1 week

    Votes: 8 4.9%
  • 2 weeks

    Votes: 68 41.5%
  • 2 more weeks!

    Votes: 85 51.8%

  • Total voters
    164
At the end of the day, I have some youtube videos to watch for gun news and like 95% of the users, I only use calguns or even here JUST for buying and selling guns.. There isnt too much else involved then that, cali market is horrible with the roster list so forums are the best for that. No one I know even checks any other forum, so thats the reality at the end of the day in my opinion. This site works very well, but when I search I get nothing for tons of guns, so until there is a way to convince people to post on both sites, it will be hard here
I worked in the side that I participated in the most, which was the marketplace. The lag in the past made it unusable and even now using the site to purchase is like staying in an abusive relationship. It’s not an eazy flow to look for things. My thought was over time people would discover us and use this setup since it’s easier, faster, more functional.

Still people use the horrible post to bump threads, a jimmy rigged feedback rating system, and lack of search functionality over the system here. 🤷🏻‍♂️

It’s here if people want to use it, built by someone who’s in the community for the community to use. I’m waiting for feedback and I’ll continue to update the site as traffic or usage grows
 
On the contrary. I've been on Calguns since before the current owner kestryll ran it. I've known quite a few of the principals, in particular in the heyday of the Calguns Foundation being founded (on the Calguns discussion forum), and I still talk to a few of them behind the scenes.

The Calguns discussion forum is very much a for-profit enterprise for kestryll. He makes good money from it ... not at the "getting rich" level, but at the "comfortable supplement to income with little work and zero hassle" level. The only problem with this plan has been in the last few years, when the underlying infrastructure (hardware and software) has been falling apart, and he has had to invest both time and money into making it better. Note that he also has a day job. I have no idea whether/when he's planning to retire from that.
Thanks for the insight. Took a minute but I was thinking of another website entirely unrelated to 2a matters.

That said, I still have a hard time understanding why there would be resistance to any change or outside input. It's not my horse though. Not sure what hardware & software or off-site server costs he was in need of but a bit of community outreach can go a long way in certain situations.
 
The site is back up but isn’t configured. So we’ll see how long it takes.

Classic configuring a site that’s live. 🙂

Lab Testing GIF
 
its a shame that calguns hasnt come into the modern technology fold
i primarily use calguns for buying/selling and research, but since discovering this site on reddit, i use it too, the interface is much cleaner and faster for sure
keep up the good work!
 
caguns need to recruit veteran users such as "Librarian" on Calguns. He is very knowledgeable and plays the role of "moderator"
 
Calguns is honestly the worst run website I’ve ever seen. Looks like it’s from the early 1990’s and it’s pathetic. But…it does have a lot of users and it’s much easier to buy/sell on their platform. Can’t believe it takes them this long to “update” their website.
 
Calguns is honestly the worst run website I’ve ever seen. Looks like it’s from the early 1990’s and it’s pathetic. But…it does have a lot of users and it’s much easier to buy/sell on their platform. Can’t believe it takes them this long to “update” their website.
Transition takes time for the marketplace, but more and more are coming over. We’ve increased the number of classifieds by 200+ since they went down and growing.

With the sin tax in place secondary markets are more important than ever. You save ~21% off retail now, just in tax so an update is good. If the update doesn’t go well, this platform exists with all the trader feedback and buyer and seller tools that doesn’t exist in vbulletin.

I paid for software with specific features and customized for CA 2A space, something vbulletin can’t do.
 
Transition takes time for the marketplace, but more and more are coming over. We’ve increased the number of classifieds by 200+ since they went down and growing.

With the sin tax in place secondary markets are more important than ever. You save ~21% off retail now, just in tax so an update is good. If the update doesn’t go well, this platform exists with all the trader feedback and buyer and seller tools that doesn’t exist in vbulletin.

I paid for software with specific features and customized for CA 2A space, something vbulletin can’t do.
Oh yea this website is 1000 times better. I hope everyone transitions here leaves that 💩hole in the dust. Just right now it’s hard to buy/sell. Hopefully that changes.
 
Oh yea this website is 1000 times better. I hope everyone transitions here leaves that 💩hole in the dust. Just right now it’s hard to buy/sell. Hopefully that changes.
I have no doubt it will. The first user was added at the end of March, we’re at this level now with nearly 3300 members in 5-6 months. It’s a strong indicator in time we’ll grow. These delays with Calguns also help with the transition. CGN used to run as a service to the community, times have kinda changed.
 
So, creating this to discuss the migration and wish the smoothest transition

Yes, I wish Calguns no ill. They're like an old friend who has chosen a path of bad decisions and dodgy behavior. There comes a time when you just have to wash your hands of the whole relationship. For me, that time came long ago with Calguns. I'll check in periodically, but I'm not interested in investing any effort into the relationship.

When CAguns came around, I was really excited, as were plenty of other folks, apparently. But when Calguns resurfaced, it appears that many users shuffled on back in a futile attempt to rekindle the way things used to be. Now that Calguns has left everyone hanging again, folks are coming on back to CAguns. So maybe this isn't so bad after all.
 
When CAguns came around, I was really excited, as were plenty of other folks, apparently. But when Calguns resurfaced, it appears that many users shuffled on back in a futile attempt to rekindle the way things used to be. Now that Calguns has left everyone hanging again, folks are coming on back to CAguns. So maybe this isn't so bad after all.

Yeah. When calguns went down it was a big boost for us. If they would've remained slow its the same. Now that they're down again, also people are well aware of the inconsistency of the site. I really wish I could help and just migrate it over. It would take me a bit, but I would be able to do it. It wouldn't be cheap either but getting it done right ensuring continuity for the community.

The 2A space is already very challenging. I just lost my payment provider and recently migrated over to a new one. Sadly, i lost most of my monthly subscribers in the process and will reach out to them to sign up again.
 
Last edited:
The 2A space is already very challenging. I just lost my payment provider and recently migrated over to a new one. Sadly, i lost most of my monthly subscribers in the process and will reach out to them to sign up again.

Ok. Just kicked a few bucks your way. Not enough for you to retire, but maybe enough to buy a few extra bytes for the forum.
 
Back
Top Bottom