It’s interesting how strident and opinionated people are on this subject in this thread and other threads like this. I’ve done A LOT of PPTs both ways over the years and other than the occasional flake never had an issue. I will amend that. I re assembled a 1911 wrong and it jammed during inspection and the buyer bailed. that's pretty much the only issue. If the seller wants money before paper work then inspection before. Whatever. Literally never had an issue once someone actually shows up. But it seems like there’s a lot of mistrust on this thread. just an observation. I did state that generally I dont pass funds until paper work is in process or done, but again, generally and honestly it's not a "deliberate" process it just sorta works out that way. again, just generally never had an issue. maybe I've just been lucky and naive, but I dont feel like most people doing this are out there trying to cheat each other. seems like lots of paranoia.
Trust, but verify. Being a skeptic is a function of being smart, which is not the same as paranoia. It's true that most people are good and honest, but some are not and they hide under the assumption of integrity and goodwill. This is why it's good to talk to a buyer or seller before meeting up to get a "read" on them. Bad actors will have bad logic, weird justifications, possibly poor comms, and may not even want to be on this site officially. An astute buyer (or seller) can spot the deception, even if they ignore some red flags along the way.
The worst communicator I dealt with never left feedback after I bought his gun, even after some gentle reminders. I almost bowed out of that sale because the guy was taking forever to respond. He was also weirdly hostile about California and was getting ready to move out of state.
I've got about 10 transactions under my belt (8 reported here as feedback) and had an issue with one of my purchases;
One guy sold me a CZ TS2 Base Model (Blue) dressed up with green grips/trigger and sold as a rarer TS2 Green (middle model) for more than the base model would have cost, but it didn't have the TS2 Green gas pedal. I checked the serial number before the purchase and it came back as a TS2, but I didn't know that it *should* have come back as a TS2 Green if it were actually that model. I found out later from CZ about this, and really I should have checked a random TS2 Green or Orange online to see what came back. Now I know.
It also had a stripped set screw under the rear sight, so the rear sight could not be removed without some serious effort from a local gunsmith. This was undisclosed. Really, it was a nice TS2 so there was no need to lie, and it shot well. Sadly, the seller chose a gawd-awful OD Green color (custom choice from CZ) and it looks absolutely horrific with the green grips. I went to go get it Cerakoted black at a local shop and the Cerakote guy bought it from me on the spot.
This taught me to always check the serial number of a higher-end gun before buying, at least to make sure it is as-advertised and especially when the gun's been modified. This includes making sure serial numbers match on various parts of the gun where applicable. I would assume most manufacturers have some kind of serial number lookup site like CZ does, but mileage may vary.
I know CZs much better now so I'd be able to spot these issues earlier, but the serial number lookup site is invaluable. If the seller doesn't want to reveal the serial number for verification then I won't buy the gun.
Caveat Emptor!