By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.
Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.
I feel sorry for any seller who signs DROS paperwork before being paid.Both parties would need to be OK with this. If you sell a gun and the buyer doesn't pay you or short pays the dealer is not involved and you would of already signed all the documents.
Seller: He didn't pay me.
Buyer: Yes I did.
The FFL is making $10 and is risking their own legal liability by getting involved. We can't play sides.
You field strip the gun at the store counter but you don't check if the magazines drop? That's odd.I bought a P-01 last year off Calguns that was suspiciously cheap. I always ask why they are selling. Guy said he had 3 and didn’t need 3, maybe 200 rounds through the gun. Said the gun was stock. They always say that.
Got to the counter, asked to inspect the gun. I field stripped it and immediately saw that the guy polished the finish off the barrel. I questioned him about it and he lied. Said it came that way. I’ve got two CZ’s and an extra barrel, I know what wear marks look like. There was no finish on the barrel except where he couldn’t reach with a dremel pad and flitz. Didn’t affect function.
He had installed a green Cajun Gun Works recoil spring that is lighter than stock, which is fine. He also had a lighter hammer spring, also fine. But not stock as he said. Questioned him on it. Lied again.
No biggie because I would have done the same anyway.
Finish looked brand new otherwise.
Got home, magazines wouldn’t drop. Less than a 5 minute fix adjusting the mag brake.
That was the only time someone was less than forthcoming but it worked out. I’ve seen P-01’s listed for double what I paid. It shoots like a laser. After the transaction, the seller revealed he had no idea the P-01 fell off the roster, hence the cheap price.
You better bring some extra mags ...You meet up and do a MAG dump in the parking lot.
You better bring some extra mags ...![]()
Yea, I found it really weird when I had to go outside to exchange cash. It feels less safe exchanging cash outside. Not sure if there is some subtle law going on making stores do that.I've never been to a gunshop that allowed money to exchange hands between private parties in their shop. And I would never transfer a gun to somebody who hasn't already paid for it. Meet somewhere (most likely the gunshop parking lot). Inspect the gun (discreetly). Pay in the parking lot outside the shop. Go inside and do PPT. This is what I've always done.
I've never been to a gunshop that allowed money to exchange hands between private parties in their shop. And I would never transfer a gun to somebody who hasn't already paid for it. Meet somewhere (most likely the gunshop parking lot). Inspect the gun (discreetly). Pay in the parking lot outside the shop. Go inside and do PPT. This is what I've always done.
Yea, I found it really weird when I had to go outside to exchange cash. It feels less safe exchanging cash outside. Not sure if there is some subtle law going on making stores do that.
There was a real long back and forth between FFL on calguns back in the day when the state tax board sent out its instructions to dealers on them being responsible for collecting tax on transactions they process. It was more about ship in transfers but was very vague so many dealers don't want to see money exchange hands as then they "might" be responsible to collect tax on the transaction.There isn't. It's just stores being dumb.
Shops would rather be safe than sorry. i know we talk a lot of s*** because we want quick and smooth transactions to get back to our lives, running a shop is their livelihood. I doubt anyone wants to jeopardize it. Again, if seen turners do funny things, not exactly legal. The difference is they are a large corp, not like the mom and pop shops.If the shop never touches the money they have no responsibility in it. It's just shop owners being dumb.
If it happens in the parkinglot, it's still on shop property. If it happens digitally, and the shop doesn't know anything about it, are they still going to think they're liable?
It is just shop owners being dumb.