18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Question How often do we clean our firearms?

I spent a fair amount of time around race tracks and machine shops growing up and all the best teams and best machinists had their stuff immaculate. Nothing out of place and everything cleaned after every use. I guess that just stuck with me, so I clean my tools after every use. I even find it relaxing, part of the ritual of shooting.
 
I clean them around 500 rounds, if that’s one trip or three. I haven’t shot surplus or corrosive ammo in a long long time.
 
I have 2 Krieger barrels and a Proof research sendero barrel that get cleaned every outing along with the Defiance and Bat actions they are "hooked" too. Rifles/carbines probably every 250-500 rds or two or three trips out. Pistols probably 1k, unless it is new and I just like fondling it. Cleaning is a good excuse.

Hey, has anyone or does anyone use Kroil as a barrel pre soak? I did it on a 9mm carbine barrel that had a squibb that left some lead and copper skid marks. I put a silicone plug (like the type used for cerakote) in one end and topped it off with kroil for a day, came back it cleaned in like 6 passes with a brush.
 
Carry guns after every use, for everything else I try not to go more than 3 trips or 1000 rounds without a basic strip and wipe down. It’s probably not necessary, I’ve never had any issues except for a basic failure to return to battery (likely due to not enough lubing between competitions + modified RSA).

To be honest, I just like keeping my guns decently clean.
 
Pistol barrels basically never need the bore cleaned. Rifle barrels maybe every 500 rounds. Carbine barrels maybe every 5000 rounds if ever. cleaning almost any pistol is largely unnecessary because the parts that touch won't collect carbon and crud because they are touching. By far the most important thing is lube. outside of a barrel with tight lockup lugs where crud can actually accumulate and cause a failure to return to battery, cleaning pistols is aesthetic. I do actually clean fairly frequently though but not every range trip. I can shoot up to 3 or 4 times a week
This depends on the pistol though. BG 2.0 needs to be cleaned. Dead stop
 
No strict round or range trip count. Probably once every 4 outings or 1k rounds. And even then it's just a wipe and lube type of ordeal.

When buying used pistols, I'll strip them all the way down, ultrasonic clean, inspect and reassemble. Makes them feel like new to me.
 
I have always cleaned mine after every range session, I clean them after every match. Does they need it? Probably not, but I'd rather start with a clean and properly lubricated firearm any time I will need to start shooting that firearm. Takes a few minutes and they don't need much in the way of supplies.
It's a 1911 so it probably needs it haha
 
I spent a fair amount of time around race tracks and machine shops growing up and all the best teams and best machinists had their stuff immaculate. Nothing out of place and everything cleaned after every use. I guess that just stuck with me, so I clean my tools after every use. I even find it relaxing, part of the ritual of shooting.
I strongly relate to this from my time working in kitchens. The best, fastest cooks always had clean and organized stations.
 
I spent a fair amount of time around race tracks and machine shops growing up and all the best teams and best machinists had their stuff immaculate. Nothing out of place and everything cleaned after every use. I guess that just stuck with me, so I clean my tools after every use. I even find it relaxing, part of the ritual of shooting.
Definitely true for pro teams, though racing is a different environment
 
Interesting. My foundational firearms instruction came from my dad and Boy Scout camp. The old man was in the Army during the transition from the M14 to M16, so understandably has an ingrained skepticism of “cleaning not required” claims. And scouting is all about teaching personal responsibility and self-reliance, so they were never going to tell us it was okay not cleaning up after yourself. Guess my perspective is skewed as a result?
Old rifles though, a 70+ year old design with big caliber vs cleaning a modern handgun or 5.56 rifle. Things are just built better now, ammo is way better than it was back then, etc
 
Several different factors go into this question for me.

What’s the gun used for?
When am I going to shoot it again?
What time of year is it? (Humidity considerations)
Etc.

If it’s a CCW/competition after every time I shoot it. Just a range toy I usually don’t unless I start having issues or I know it’s not going to be shot again for a good while.

Not all of my safes have the best methods of humidity control so sometimes I clean just to be able to store stuff a little wet with oil.
 
Whatever gives you the warm and fuzzy inside. I clean about once a year. Possibly add some oil between range trips.

Other than that, firm believer that your average gun owner causes more wear and tear cleaning than shooting. Also, many people over lube.

Just my preference after learning and visiting R&D centers for firearms and the testing they go through during development.
 
Whatever gives you the warm and fuzzy inside. I clean about once a year. Possibly add some oil between range trips.

Other than that, firm believer that your average gun owner causes more wear and tear cleaning than shooting. Also, many people over lube.
'

take my lube from my cold dead hands!

1791501481226.webp
 
Recently, I noticed some GunTubers casually mentioning how dirty their firearm as a sort of humble brag. This strikes me as odd, because I was taught to NEVER put a gun away dirty.

Personally, I always patch the bore with Hoppe’s, lube friction points, and wipe down everything with a little Ballistol after live fire.

How about everyone else?
I clean mine after each range session. Just use Citra lube and wipe down. My edc I clean every month.

I do full breakdown if it’s 5000 rounds
 
Back
Top Bottom