18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Question How often do we clean our firearms?

dvoncock

Well-known member
Messages
229
Recently, I noticed some GunTubers casually mentioning how dirty their firearm as a sort of humble brag. This strikes me as odd, because I was taught to NEVER put a gun away dirty.

Personally, I always patch the bore with Hoppe’s, lube friction points, and wipe down everything with a little Ballistol after live fire.

How about everyone else?
 
some GunTubers casually mentioning how dirty their firearm as a sort of humble brag.

It's the Participation Trophy Mentality, where people are encouraged to feel proud, regardless of their level of mediocrity. Those are the same people wearing a fifthly shirt and who have dishes stacked in the sink.
 
Oh boy, here we go, haha!!

I’ll start: I never clean my guns. I shoot them until they stop working, spray some lube, then shoot them some more. I will wipe the crud off the outside (especially if it’s CCW) but that’s to keep from getting gun mung on my clothes, haha!!

When that doesn’t work, *then* I’ll break them down to clean, but only enough to get them working again.

Not a humble brag for me. My view is that modern finishes, propellants, and primer compounds make keeping a gun spotless unnecessary.

I’m not taking away from those who take an opposing view, and/or just enjoy cleaning their guns, getting into the mechanicals of them, etc.
 
I look at it, if it looks dirty I clean it. Otherwise... lol. I'm definitely not cleaning after every range trip. Longest I pushed my AR15 with no cleaning was 2k rounds which was really filthy after with Wolf ammo hahaha. The only gun I go out of my way to make sure is really clean and lubed perfectly is if it's my CCW like the PDP. Probably every 500-1000 rounds is fine. Some Breakfree CLP works great and I guess you can do a deep cleaning when you feel like it
 
It's the Participation Trophy Mentality, where people are encouraged to feel proud, regardless of their level of mediocrity. Those are the same people wearing a fifthly shirt and who have dishes stacked in the sink.
That’s nasty. I clean after every range trip, altho, sometimes that is days later. It’s not an as soon as i get home kinda thing necessarily. Also if i havent shot something in a long time and im taking it to the range i clean it before. Function check and stuff. But i would say, this is normal field strip cleaning. I rarely do a “deep clean” unless something is wrong which, again with modern guns…..like never? Some of my old C&R and antiques that’s a different story.
 
I can be a little OCD. I encourage folks to clean their firearms AT the range at the end of the session to decon their equipment as much as they can before they go home. So they take as little lead home as possible.

Other than cleaning lube and protection. One of my main uses is to leave more lead at the range. All the powder and primer residue is where the lead is.

I was also looking for dlead wipes to pair with this

 
If it's a match or carry she gets cleaned after every range session.

Practice gun every 1k-2k rounds.
 
I have always cleaned mine after every range session, I clean them after every match. Does they need it? Probably not, but I'd rather start with a clean and properly lubricated firearm any time I will need to start shooting that firearm. Takes a few minutes and they don't need much in the way of supplies.
 
After every range trip. Could be that day, could be a couple weeks later. This also gives me a chance to do a cursory inspection and functions check.

If I'm pressed for time, I may only clean one per night; they won't get destroyed in a couple of days... unless I've shot corrosive ammo, then that changes things.
 
Back
Top Bottom