18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Question How do i Avoid getting scammed on a PPT Purchase?

I'm going to leave this up only because it serves a purpose. Idiots is not a nice way of saying, some people are gullible in the community. They don't have resources like this and make a purchase thinking people are not going to do anything bad.

Please be respectful to one another. We're trying to be fair while being educational. We don't want 🔥flame wars and want to help promote more people getting involved.

One way to do that is to not call folks idiots if they make mistakes in this hobby, though I get what you're saying..
 
You should talk to the FFL in advance. There is no reason not to exchange the money inside, but some FFLs have an issue with that for unknown reasons. It is unknown since they are not getting involved with finding the buyer or seller and are not getting involved with the price. But then also consider how a FFL would feel about two people outside messing around with a firearm. Even if you ask in advance and they want you to deal with things outside, go inside and let them know that you are there and what you are doing. It should go much better that way.

I picked up some firearms from LAPD and went in first to ask since I also needed to bring cases with me. I was told what to do in order to not freak them out. Then I went out and got the cases and went back in. Some people, including officers, started to freak out, but the officer at the desk said to just let me into the back. I suspect it would have been very different had I not gone in first. Of course, they only told me where I should park afterwards, but having armed security to escort me to my vehicle was quite nice considering the area.
 
Hello, New here: There is a listing here for a GLOCK 19x PPT local in San Clemente
1st I've never done a PPT purchase so I'm not sure how it should go.
Any advise on how to protect myself against getting scammed or running into a police sting?
What steps should I take in contacting the seller and purchasing the firearm.
The FFL to DROS is in my area so I've been there a few times in the past
At what point do I pay for the firearm?
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I really am only interested in a safe LEGAL transaction

Thanks,
JamMan1213
lmao why would you be worried about a police sting? "im Chris Hansen with dateline NBC and were doing a story on adults meeting other adults on completely legal transactions" lol
 
I recently did a PPT and guy buying the gun didn’t want to pay till the transaction was completed and he was out the door. This didn’t feel right to me.
 
Hello, New here: There is a listing here for a GLOCK 19x PPT local in San Clemente
1st I've never done a PPT purchase so I'm not sure how it should go.
Any advise on how to protect myself against getting scammed or running into a police sting?
What steps should I take in contacting the seller and purchasing the firearm.
The FFL to DROS is in my area so I've been there a few times in the past
At what point do I pay for the firearm?
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I really am only interested in a safe LEGAL transaction

Thanks,
JamMan1213
It’s a crap shoot. Your best bet it to meet up at the FFL and BEFORE you do the paperwork ask to handle the firearm. From there cycle the weapon and confirm it’s in working order. Honestly if it cycles dry then anything that might break can be replaced. Hell, you can even disassemble it right there if you want. It’s your money your taking a risk with.
 
Big thing is to make sure the other party has all of their documents. Just because you have your 💩 together, don't assume the other guy does. I showed up as a buyer and the seller didn't have a REAL ID, nor did he bring any other documentation required if you don't have the REAL ID. We met at my preferred FFL, where I've bought 8 new guns and have a great relationship with the staff, and when the seller tried to argue with the owner of the store over how he should be able to sell with bad ID, I canceled the deal. I had already inspected the gun outside and handed over cash, as this particular store doesn't want the cash done inside. The guy really didn't want to give the money back and wanted to go to Turners to try again. No thanks I'm good. Super awkward, and a little embarrassing on my end for bringing a sketchy transaction into a shop that does me right. Lesson learned.

Would hate to be a seller and show up to find out the buyer had an expired FSC or something else that would waste my time. Other than that, simple function check and make sure the gun looks like it did in pictures.
 
Snap cap with tape covering the firing pin, if they let you. Check to see if the firing pin is operable, and hitting hard enough.
 
Hello, New here: There is a listing here for a GLOCK 19x PPT local in San Clemente
1st I've never done a PPT purchase so I'm not sure how it should go.
Any advise on how to protect myself against getting scammed or running into a police sting?
What steps should I take in contacting the seller and purchasing the firearm.
The FFL to DROS is in my area so I've been there a few times in the past
At what point do I pay for the firearm?
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I really am only interested in a safe LEGAL transaction

Thanks,
JamMan1213

What up JamMan1213
when i buy a gun aka do a Private Party Transfer (PPT) I ask for lots of pics from seller and do my research on the weapon so i know what I'm looking at/for.
I choose an FFL that's mutually accessible for both parties and I call and make appointment if needed.
You'll need a REAL ID (Ca Drivers license) with a current address.
If you don't have this, call the FFL and ask what documents / IDs they will accept in lieu of a REAL ID.
Then meet seller at FFL and inspect weapon. If you like what you see then pay the seller. (usually cash)
*keep in mind some stores don't want you to exchange cash in the store - this is not unusual. maybe i might step out in front briefly to exchange the cash.
I always ask to get paid BEFORE we start the PPT DROS paperwork - after buyer has had their time to inspect the weapon.
Then you go through the process of paperwork with the FFL.
when you finish you both get a copy of the sales report and the buyer can come back in 10 days and pick up the weapon.

If by chance the buyer is denied - due to an old warrant from 1979 out of Ft Worth or maybe a typo or name mix up
then you'll need to make arrangements to get your bread back from the seller.
*I had a dude tell me once when we did a PPT he said "hey if I'm denied for any weird reason i'll pay you $40 for your gas and trouble but please refund my money if this happens." I said ok no problemo. and I think this is a fair way to handle it.
(What happens in the event of a denial is the buyer gets a call in the first few days
from the FFL saying it was denied and usually the seller is called to come back to pick up the gun) then you'd get your bread back from the seller.)
**but this is a worst case scenario- so don't stress too hard
PPTs happen all day every day in CA - it's the legal way how to transfer/sell a used firearm.
There's nothing illegal about a PPT - that's the correct way to do it. You won't get caught in a "sting" operation : )




If you have a clean record things should go just fine and get your gun in 10 days.
Make sure you buy lots of ammo and also practice at the range
and always treat every gun like it's loaded and never point it at anything you dont want to shoot.

Best of luck to you

EDIT: update i just read through the thread i see folks already covered all of the above very clearly but anyways big up Caguns ok cheers
 
Last edited:
I mean all these things are semi “it depends”. As I said. Some shops do not want cash passed in the shop. That being said zelle/venmo etc sure. And JMO. I don’t do any ppt personally where I gotta drive stupid distances. That equals shipping. And that opens a whole new can of worms.
Never do zelle/venmo for gun transactions. You can NOW get zelle to refund. Paypal friends and family for parts, and move funds as soon as you get it.

Pp f&f i use alot for gafs and arfcom.
 
Something I noticed more and more on a few sites. If the person takes electronic payment make sure it doesn't convert US dollars to some other currency. It seems like a no brainer, but depending on payment type it may not be that obvious that its converting it.
 
Say NO to pay apps! It's cash only, or a dozen chickens, or a Harley, etc. NEVER a pay app!
 
Indeed, some gun shops don't want the money or the check ever to be visible in the store. I think they're afraid of the sales tax consequences or something like that.
I do not know what was their concern, but I have had that happen to me when I was in CA. In ID, we can meet in Walmart's parking lot.
 
I am not sure how exchanging money in a gun store makes a gun store liable for anything. Either the gun store was a part of the transaction or they were not. No one has ever heard of the CDTFA doing sting operations at gun shops to claim the gun shop was a part of the transaction because people exchanged money in the store. And most likely because it is not a violation of tax law. Some gun stores just worry too damn much and for no reason.
 
I have been to a few FFl's that say that. But I look at it their store their rules. Not worth arguing with them over it.
 
I am not sure how exchanging money in a gun store makes a gun store liable for anything. Either the gun store was a part of the transaction or they were not. No one has ever heard of the CDTFA doing sting operations at gun shops to claim the gun shop was a part of the transaction because people exchanged money in the store. And most likely because it is not a violation of tax law. Some gun stores just worry too damn much and for no reason.
Must be something else because my LGS had that policy well before the sin tax. Maybe has to do with counterfeit bills? Not sure how the store could be held liable for that but I'm sure there's a lawyer somewhere who would try
 
I've always checked the firearm at the counter (except my very first PPT) and have the cash in an envelope which is handed to the seller while doing the paperwork. No FFL (including Turner's) has ever had an issue with that process.
 
Must be something else because my LGS had that policy well before the sin tax. Maybe has to do with counterfeit bills? Not sure how the store could be held liable for that but I'm sure there's a lawyer somewhere who would try
It would be sales tax, not just sin tax. Again, people exchanging money with each other at your store does not make you the retailer of the PPT. It never has and it never will. Some gun stores are just plain silly.
 
I am not sure how exchanging money in a gun store makes a gun store liable for anything. Either the gun store was a part of the transaction or they were not. No one has ever heard of the CDTFA doing sting operations at gun shops to claim the gun shop was a part of the transaction because people exchanged money in the store. And most likely because it is not a violation of tax law. Some gun stores just worry too damn much and for no reason.
I had one gun store employee tell me they considered it a straw purchase. I was transferring a pistol so I just said ok, we went outside to transfer the money and went back in and sold the gun. No use getting into a pissing contest.
 
Back
Top Bottom