18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Question How do i Avoid getting scammed on a PPT Purchase?

I either don't drive far or do the risk assessment. Once I drove from OC to somewhere close to Victorville to sell my gun (Turner there, buyer's choice). The buyer was a reputable Calgunner. As a seller, I always acknowledge and respect the fact, that I have to drive one time, while they buyer will have to drive twice
Certainly - which is why I’m willing to drive a ways when I have a committed buyer. The deposit is a way to ensure their commitment doesn’t wane at my personal expense is all. A reputation on GG is nice, but life happens sometimes. I just don’t want to be out 4+ hours of driving and all the associated travel expenses, in the event something happened on their end.
 
Certainly - which is why I’m willing to drive a ways when I have a committed buyer. The deposit is a way to ensure their commitment doesn’t wane at my personal expense is all. A reputation on GG is nice, but life happens sometimes. I just don’t want to be out 4+ hours of driving and all the associated travel expenses, in the event something happened on their end.
I like the adrenalin in my blood, I guess. However, you are right. You always want to make sure the other party doesn't play games. It's just my verification mechanism is way more relax than yours ;)
 
How can the Police entrap you, when what you are doing is perfectly legal?
 
Very similar to buying a used car/high value item from a stranger.

- Do your due diligence on the seller/buyer and make sure they are trustworthy. It was a hell of a lot easier before CGN lost many years worth of iTrader ratings/feedback (@ikeo1 any way at all to retrieve this?)
- Ensure both parties bring required documentation
- Call ahead and confirm FFL PPT times - some shops have specific windows for transfers. I always aim to get there at opening time to make it easier for all
- Inspect item and make sure you're happy
- transact outside of shop as many FFL's do not allow you to do so inside their premises

NO DEPOSITS.
 
How can the Police entrap you, when what you are doing is perfectly legal?
I don't think police intentionally sets the trap, but if a patrolman (or a seriously concerned citizen) sees a couple of guys with a gun in their hands by a gun store (God forbid if a bank branch is nearby), the PPT may need to be delayed for quite a long time
 
I don't think police intentionally sets the trap, but if a patrolman (or a seriously concerned citizen) sees a couple of guys with a gun in their hands by a gun store (God forbid if a bank branch is nearby), the PPT may need to be delayed for quite a long time
or just use FFLs who dont mind you inspecting the firearm inside their premises, oddly I haven't had an issue with this
 
I don't think police intentionally sets the trap, but if a patrolman (or a seriously concerned citizen) sees a couple of guys with a gun in their hands by a gun store (God forbid if a bank branch is nearby), the PPT may need to be delayed for quite a long time

Not sure if you're trolling or for real, but any normal person would walk into the FFL with their firearm unloaded and locked in factory hardcase. Slipping that package into a nondescript plastic bag for the walk from car-to-shop is also not a bad idea.
 
I would not give a deposit either but, if you are asking a guy to drive an hour to the FFL and say the buyer gets cold feet and is a no show seller just wasted 2 hours for nothing. I would check seller out first and then maybe give a very small deposit. Fair is fair, I have been on both sides as seller and buyer.
 
or just use FFLs who dont mind you inspecting the firearm inside their premises, oddly I haven't had an issue with this
if the FFL is allowing that, the issue is solved for sure. I typically inspect the gun, or provide my guns for inspection in the parking lot.
 
They are pretty easy the 10 or so I have done. I have been a buyer and seller. Typically buyer pays the transfer fee. I’ve never been asked for a deposit, nor would I pay one.

There are scammers all over. I just ignore them if it dont sound good.
 
I've done a lot of PPTs over the past 10 years. I understand how someone could feel a little worried at first. But IMHO it's pretty much impossible to be "scammed" on a PPT. Unless you are a complete idiot.

By their very nature, PPTs have to be face-to-face. Any face-to-face transaction limits the chance of being "scammed" especially when you are talking about a deal that has to be done at an FFL.

You aren't going to be meeting in the back of an abandoned warehouse, that would be illegal in California.

My advice is do not set up deals that are too far away. Yes people can flake out. Of all the years of PPTs I've done, I've never had someone flake out on me when I was at the FFL waiting for them to show up. I've had people show up to the wrong shop. But fortunately, since we agreed to meet locally it just meant that I had to wait a little longer for them to come to the right shop.

After a while, you start to get good at feeling people out and being able to tell if they know what they are doing. If you ever need reassurance, just call them and speak to them in person.
 
I've done a lot of PPTs over the past 10 years. I understand how someone could feel a little worried at first. But IMHO it's pretty much impossible to be "scammed" on a PPT. Unless you are a complete idiot.

By their very nature, PPTs have to be face-to-face. Any face-to-face transaction limits the chance of being "scammed" especially when you are talking about a deal that has to be done at an FFL.

You aren't going to be meeting in the back of an abandoned warehouse, that would be illegal in California.

My advice is do not set up deals that are too far away. Yes people can flake out. Of all the years of PPTs I've done, I've never had someone flake out on me when I was at the FFL waiting for them to show up. I've had people show up to the wrong shop. But fortunately, since we agreed to meet locally it just meant that I had to wait a little longer for them to come to the right shop.

After a while, you start to get good at feeling people out and being able to tell if they know what they are doing. If you ever need reassurance, just call them and speak to them in person.
You can relatively easily get a lemon. The gun is sold as is, and it's practically impossible to accurately assess the gun function during the short PPT inspection. I wouldn't say it's hard to get scammed to some extent.
 
You can relatively easily get a lemon. The gun is sold as is, and it's practically impossible to accurately assess the gun function during the short PPT inspection. I wouldn't say it's hard to get scammed to some extent.
We will have to agree to disagree. Most people are honest. Are there used guns with issues out there? Probably. But its very easy to avoid them if you ask the right questions and know what to look for. I have no issues accurately assessing a firearm for function in person during a PPT. Maybe it just comes down to more experience.

In fact every seller Ive dealt with has let me remove the slide of a pistol to inspect the frame. Most FFLs will not let you do that.

I stand by what I said. It is pretty much impossible to get scammed in a PPT, that is if you arent a complete idiot. Note the last part of my statement.

Idiots get scammed easily. Because they are idiots. But they are getting scammed by a very small minority that prey on idiots. Dont think that just because you were easily scammed, it means that there are a lot of scammers out there.
 
Last edited:
We will have to agree to disagree. Most people are honest. Are there used guns with issues out there? Probably. But its very easy to avoid them if you ask the right questions and know what to look for. I have no issues accurately assessing a firearm for function in person during a PPT. Maybe it just comes down to more experience.

In fact every seller Ive dealt with has let me remove the slide of a pistol to inspect the frame. Most FFLs will not let you do that.

I stand by what I said. It is pretty much impossible to get scammed in a PPT, if you arent a total idiot.
By looking at a gun in a parking lot, you can easily tell if it has a light primer strike, ejection issues, slide lock back issue? You can accurately inspect the barrel without a light? You can easily tell the condition of the recoil spring? You can do a full inspection in like 5-10 minutes?
Indeed, most sellers are pretty much honest, because the majority of guns work well. However, if someone want to sell a lemon, you expect the seller to meet you at FFL to honestly tell you the gun need a repair? Seriously?

Idiot or not, you still can be scammed. You are no gunsmith, you don't have the needed tools, experience or time to accurately examine the gun during the PPT transfer. You can only hope the gun is fine.
 
By looking at a gun in a parking lot, you can easily tell if it has a light primer strike, ejection issues, slide lock back issue? You can accurately inspect the barrel without a light? You can easily tell the condition of the recoil spring? You can do a full inspection in like 5-10 minutes?
Indeed, most sellers are pretty much honest, because the majority of guns work well. However, if someone want to sell a lemon, you expect the seller to meet you at FFL to honestly tell you the gun need a repair? Seriously?

Idiot or not, you still can be scammed. You are no gunsmith, you don't have the needed tools, experience or time to accurately examine the gun during the PPT transfer. You can only hope the gun is fine.
Never had a problem and Im pretty confident Ive bought a crap ton more used guns via PPT than most on this forum have. I do not recommend inspecting a gun in a parking lot in CA. Its just not necessary at all. If you arent experienced enough to make a good determination on the condition of a used gun then you probably shouldnt be buying used. There's some inherent risk buying used that you just have to accept if you are interested in used guns. If you cant accept any level of risk buying used, then you should stick to buying new guns with a good warranty.
 
Never had a problem and Im pretty confident Ive bought a crap ton more used guns via PPT than most on this forum have. I do not recommend inspecting a gun in a parking lot in CA. Its just not necessary at all. If you arent experienced enough to make a good determination on the condition of a used gun then you probably shouldnt be buying used. There's some inherent risk buying used that you just have to accept if you are interested in used guns. If you cant accept any level of risk buying used, then you should stick to buying new guns with a good warranty.
So, you went down from "only an idiot can be scammed" to "there is some inherent risk". That concludes the discussion.
 
So, you went down from "only an idiot can be scammed" to "there is some inherent risk". That concludes the discussion.
"Went from"? Theres nothing incompatible with what I've said. Sure theres some level of risk buying used. You are trying to say that it's easy to be scammed. It's a pretty simple concept. I'm sorry but I can't explain it further to you. I just dont think it's possible to be any clearer than I have already been. Have a good one.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom