18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Archive CalGuns vs. CAguns What's the difference?

This is now archived and no longer relevant.

Was this helpful?

  • Yep, this was helpful

    Votes: 44 91.7%
  • No

    Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Other - Comment below

    Votes: 1 2.1%

  • Total voters
    48
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the edit feature only being available for a certain amount of time is a good thing. It helps hold people more accountable for what they say. I think that outweighs the negatives.

Also, one of the most annoying things about Reddit is how frequently responses are deleted. There are countless threads on Reddit with so many deleted posts that all sense is gone.
 
Some other differences include Calguns giving safe harbor to misogynists, homophobes, and racists, all of which make the gun community look terrible. Off-Topic has a lot of angry, bitter people who echo chamber themselves.

Aside from that, if you voice a political opinion that isn't right wing, you get dogpiled.
 
After having observed a decent sample size of caguns postings, I'm pretty confident in saying that another major difference is that there is a lot more ignorance of gun laws and just firearms in general. Like not knowing the basics of what defines an assault weapon or what the handgun roster is. As far as firearms and 2A knowledge, calguns definitely beats caguns in that regard.

As far as political leanings, this site definitely leans to the left. I don't know if it is as far left as the "liberal gun club", but it isn't unbiased or "moderate". There are a lot of folks on this site who are totally in denial about what the Democratic party is trying to do to gun rights and gun culture. And some folks who are completely in support of the laws and restrictions that the Democratic party has implemented or has proposed.
 
Last edited:
Some people on Calguns would delete all there post at the end of the day. It did seem strange.
One member deleted older posts to make sure his number of posts was always 666. He was a really nice guy; during the early days of the OLL revolution, he taught everyone about how ARs work, and how to make them legal (before we had fin grips, bullet buttons and mag locks). May he rest in peace.
 
Some other differences include Calguns giving safe harbor to misogynists, homophobes, and racists, all of which make the gun community look terrible. Off-Topic has a lot of angry, bitter people who echo chamber themselves.

Aside from that, if you voice a political opinion that isn't right wing, you get dogpiled.
You say "make look terrible". I often wonder whether that's actually a correct evaluation; it may just be that the gun community happens to attract a lot of terrible people. Clearly not all gun people are in this category, in particular not in California (where somewhere between a quarter and half of all gun people are democrats or left wing). But lots of them.
 
You say "make look terrible". I often wonder whether that's actually a correct evaluation; it may just be that the gun community happens to attract a lot of terrible people. Clearly not all gun people are in this category, in particular not in California (where somewhere between a quarter and half of all gun people are democrats or left wing). But lots of them.

I do agree with what you're saying.

Calguns did (does, when it works) give a place for those terrible people to amplify all their bigotry. And, as bad as that is, it's all the worse in California, where many gun owners are democrats/left wing, women, LGBQT+, minorities, etc. There are lots of gun owners who might take a look at some of the poor behavior that goes on in Off-Topic, and not feel very welcome. That's a real shame. And, that's why a board like this is much more helpful to the cause.
 
I personally find it funny you go over to CalGuns and start fighting in the off topic forum.
Why bother? You have a forum that works. We get it you are the judge of what goes here. What ok and what is not. We get it.
But my question is, who cares? Who cares what CalGuns is doing right/better? If I want to post something for sale or be berated by old 🍒 in the off topic I go there. If I want to be berated about how great soy is and the Democrats are actually not that bad for my second amendment rights I come here.
So in all seriousness, why do YOU, go to CalGuns Off topic and pick fights with those guys?
I am genuinely interested and curious.
Thanks
 
I personally find it funny you go over to CalGuns and start fighting in the off topic forum.
Why bother? You have a forum that works. We get it you are the judge of what goes here. What ok and what is not. We get it.
But my question is, who cares? Who cares what CalGuns is doing right/better? If I want to post something for sale or be berated by old 🍒 in the off topic I go there. If I want to be berated about how great soy is and the Democrats are actually not that bad for my second amendment rights I come here.
So in all seriousness, why do YOU, go to CalGuns Off topic and pick fights with those guys?
I am genuinely interested and curious.
Thanks

Ps, I can't say 🍒? Bewbs ha, there. I'm sure someone is mad now
I personally find it funny you go over to CalGuns and start fighting in the off topic forum.
Why bother? You have a forum that works. We get it you are the judge of what goes here. What ok and what is not. We get it.
But my question is, who cares? Who cares what CalGuns is doing right/better? If I want to post something for sale or be berated by old 🍒 in the off topic I go there. If I want to be berated about how great soy is and the Democrats are actually not that bad for my second amendment rights I come here.
So in all seriousness, why do YOU, go to CalGuns Off topic and pick fights with those guys?
I am genuinely interested and curious.
Thanks
 
>
After having observed a decent sample size of caguns postings, I'm pretty confident in saying that another major difference is that there is a lot more ignorance of gun laws and just firearms in general. Like not knowing the basics of what defines an assault weapon or what the handgun roster is. As far as guns and 2A knowledge, calguns definitely beats caguns in that regard.

As far as political leanings, this site definitely leans to the left. I don't know if it is as far left as the "liberal gun club", but it isn't unbiased or "moderate". There are a lot of folks on this site who are totally in denial about what the Democratic party is trying to do to gun rights and gun culture. And some folks who are completely in support of the laws and restrictions that the Democratic party has implemented or has proposed.
If folks in general are more ignorant of gun laws and firearms, is it surprising that their purported positions are more left of center, and they are possibly in denial (although I am pressed to understand how one can be ignorant on a subject and at the same time also in denial)?

But, let’s look at “lean(ing) to the left”. This is a comparison of CalGuns v. CaGuns. In the past 10 years (let’s make it “The Trump Era” … I’m ducking) CalGuns has noticeably slipped far right with a solid intolerance for anything else. Essentially a virtual echo chamber with a peanut gallery to heckle and deride those with views even the slightest off of the designated track.

Period. Full Stop. ( I borrowed that from Gavin…if requested, I may give it back. :))

I would contend that, since the “conservative right” has been skewed so heavily, what we used to see as “conservative” is now moderate. With that, we can certainly understand where the “moderate conservatives” now land on the scale.

So, what’s the solution? CalGuns was built on the market place and the initial cadre that started looking at this site came from Reddit. Look at the checklist again. A bunch of it is marketplace. I, for one, don’t care. (Disclaimer..I stopped looking at Reddit years ago because it struck me as an unorganized stream of consciousness; opinion without reference mess. I lived through that with the diving UseNets of the 70s/80s. YMMV).

The informational forums are a necessary adjunct to this effort. But the forums here aren’t as developed as the CalGuns forums were over what? +25 years? All that means is that folks who learned (from CalGuns) the laws and regulations and how they are applied, need to bring that knowledge to this forum without opinion on what has been posted and may be confused or wrong.

To the poll.: the major, important difference between the two is the active effort in CaGuns to maintain civil decorum and not let the minority mob rule. The interesting thing for me is that the owner could shutdown every forum not related to the Marketplace and still run the site he envisioned. But, he doesn’t because, in my opinion, he’s seeking to develop a broader community which includes information on legal constraints and educates the viewer on the excessive crush that the state has put on gun owners.

With that education, the issues of uneducated or liberal gun owners who don’t understand the system can be countered.
 
Last edited:
I personally find it funny you go over to CalGuns and start fighting in the off topic forum.
Why bother? You have a forum that works. We get it you are the judge of what goes here. What ok and what is not. We get it.
So in all seriousness, why do YOU, go to CalGuns Off topic and pick fights with those guys?
I am genuinely interested and curious.
Thanks
If you’re serious about the question, I stop by there from time to time for verifications. Every now and then I pop into OT to see what the latest topics are, every now and then I see a topic relating to this site and me. If you notice, I don’t start topics.

What I end up seeing is how they constantly lie and make up 💩. I never try to police anything they do like they try to do here but I do like to point out how hypocritical they are. Why? Because other people who haven’t discovered this site there can see what and who destroyed Calguns. IMO, when I point things out rationally, people can see and notice the tone difference.

More or less when I stop by there,

1.) to point out their bull💩.
2.) keep the topic going from them talking 💩, cause they won’t stop and provide a counter point.
3.) bring out the bad actors so I can identify them here by their patterns. I know one of them was a guy starting 💩 back in the day here.

At this point, I could care less what a bunch of randos say. if you also notice, I’m a paid contributor there so why shouldn’t I be able to go there? My acct is older than many of them. It’s a bit irritating, having a place I used to go all the time turned out that way with a handful of guys talking 💩 when they do nothing but complain and don’t help the site.

I could give a 💩 about politicians and following them blindly like so many do. I’m way too critical to think politicians 💩 doesn’t stink. It’s amazing to me the mental gymnastics some people go through to maintain a side. Reality is, somethings you like somethings you don’t. If you follow everything only because of political party, you are a 🐑, Left or Right. Extremes are horrible for this country, yet we find ourselves here.

Even your bias about this being a Dem site shows. I’ve never supported one side more than the other, I’ve been critical of both and we allow being critical just not insults to each other. People think this site is a liberal site because a handful post here. How ridiculous is that? It’s the biggest problem with many communities but especially 2A that I’ve seen. What I respect in 2A is your skill and knowledge, has nothing to do with politics.

What’s important to me is correcting this thought that they are mutually exclusive, the bill or rights doesn’t work that way. You have to include democrats and independents if you want to move the needle for 2A to make it more acceptable and change law in a blue state. The more people you get, the more advocacy you do one person at a time.

I also step away from it at a certain point because the conversation goes juvenile.

Btw. This page is actually going to be removed. I’m in the process of phasing it out since people are more familiar with the site now. If you notice the create date it was when new users would gradually find this place and thought this was the updated Calguns. I was actually surprised to see this pop up again since I was going to remove it soon. Been working on a new table structure with tiers.
 
The interesting thing for me is that the owner could shutdown every forum not related to the Marketplace and still run the site he envisioned. But, he doesn’t because, in my opinion, he’s seeking to develop a broader community which includes information on legal constraints and educates the viewer on the excessive crush that the state has put on gun owners.

With that education, the issues of uneducated or liberal gun owners who don’t understand the system can be countered.
Thank you for recognizing the overall goal. There’s so much to 2A laws, safety, maintenance, training, etc for CA specifically that people just don’t know. Having an organized space for people to search through is important to have but very difficult to create & populate.

You’re absolutely correct it would be more profitable, cheaper to operate, and have overall fewer issues if this was just a marketplace. I see the members here eventually having the ability to enable change in whatever form that is for individuals, groups, and/or communities.
 
Hilarious reply and I do appreciate it. Sincerely I do.
Like I said, "who cares" what CalGuns says about this site, and especially you?
What difference does it make in your day to day?
Zero.

If I were you, I wouldn't go into the off topic there and try and "correct" the bewbs in there and pick fights.
Makes you look really petty.

You own a site that works. Hooray you already won.
(Read that again.)

Your site works. That is why CalGuns members are even here.
Reddit members and here for memes.
I kid, I kid.
Life is too serious already. Who cares about this nonsense?
 
Hilarious reply and I do appreciate it. Sincerely I do.
Like I said, "who cares" what CalGuns says about this site, and especially you?
What difference does it make in your day to day?
Zero.

If I were you, I wouldn't go into the off topic there and try and "correct" the bewbs in there and pick fights.
Makes you look really petty.

You own a site that works. Hooray you already won.
(Read that again.)

Your site works. That is why CalGuns members are even here.
Reddit members and here for memes.
I kid, I kid.
Life is too serious already. Who cares about this nonsense?
It’s also a little fun, to get them wound up and then leave. In a way, I think they enjoy it too. 😉

It’s not about being petty, just looking past them and talking to the folks in the background. Petty would be insulting them but I don’t want to do that. I don’t take the loud mouths seriously, but there are people that come across it and they’re the ones I’m talking to. Those that do find another place to go.
 
At the end of the day, isn’t it the owner’s fault of calguns that the site is broken because he didn’t update the forum software for years? Is this what actually happened? I’ve been under the impression outdated software is what killed it because he was afraid of legacy features not working. At the end, it killed everything.

Or did i get this completely wrong? Lol
 
At the end of the day, isn’t it the owner’s fault of calguns that the site is broken because he didn’t update the forum software for years? Is this what actually happened? I’ve been under the impression outdated software is what killed it because he was afraid of legacy features not working. At the end, it killed everything.

Or did i get this completely wrong? Lol
Combination of things really. Perfect storm of a lot of things happening all at once.

I empathize with the owner as it’s not an easy thing to maintain if it’s not in your industry. I’m constantly updating this site in terms of security updates on several layers. These sites can be quite costly in $ and time if you try to maintain them properly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom