18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

When sellers don’t answer

Parley27

Member
Messages
43
Can there be a button to nudge the seller to answer questions or answer messages concerning the item(s) they’re selling?

It seems like everytime I message someone, I don’t hear back or no activity. I don’t wanna spam someone’s inbox for an item that may have been sold or in the progress of being sold.
 
You should read through This post here if you haven't already.

I don't think there should a nudge feature. Follow up with you want if you think it's been a reasonable time frame, if you get ignored just move on.

What I like about home-barista.com ( a forum I was super active in the past) is that they have an outbox vs sent message. When you send a pm you see it in the outbox. When the recipient opens it, then it gets moved to your sent message box.
 
You should read through This post here if you haven't already.

I don't think there should a nudge feature. Follow up with you want if you think it's been a reasonable time frame, if you get ignored just move on.

What I like about home-barista.com ( a forum I was super active in the past) is that they have an outbox vs sent message. When you send a pm you see it in the outbox. When the recipient opens it, then it gets moved to your sent message box.

Yo that would be a nice feature to have on this site when it comes to PMs
 
When the recipient opens it, then it gets moved to your sent message box.
We have this feature.

If the user reads the message there’s a green check mark next to it. We have a lot of little things like this that people discover. 🙂

I’m sure some folks can use features better than I can these days. Keep the feedback coming though. I read through all of them, even though I might not reply to everything. If it makes sense and it’s doable I’ll add it to my list of to do’s.
 
What's more annoying are sellers who put items in the marketplace and only check back every 5 days, a week, or 10 days. If you're going to be active in the marketplace have the courtesy to follow up and not leave people hanging. Especially when you get email notifications that somebody has sent you a private message, there's no reason that a large amount of time should lapse before the seller reaches out to a potential buyer
 
What's more annoying are sellers who put items in the marketplace and only check back every 5 days, a week, or 10 days. If you're going to be active in the marketplace have the courtesy to follow up and not leave people hanging. Especially when you get email notifications that somebody has sent you a private message, there's no reason that a large amount of time should lapse before the seller reaches out to a potential buyer
Agreed. Kind of annoying to see listings that say something like “need to sell asap” and still hanging out there a month later.
 
What's more annoying are sellers who put items in the marketplace and only check back every 5 days, a week, or 10 days. If you're going to be active in the marketplace have the courtesy to follow up and not leave people hanging. Especially when you get email notifications that somebody has sent you a private message, there's no reason that a large amount of time should lapse before the seller reaches out to a potential buyer
I mean... most of us do have lives outside of this. I have a full time job, plus school, so I have very little time in between and messing around on here is very low on my priority list. Often I have no time during the week and only one day during the weekend to do stuff aside from work and school.
 
I mean... most of us do have lives outside of this. I have a full time job, plus school, so I have very little time in between and messing around on here is very low on my priority list. Often I have no time during the week and only one day during the weekend to do stuff aside from work and school.
My guy I work 7 days a week, 5 days a week as a hvac tech and on weekends a part time rn/ phlebotomist on weekends where shifts last 14 hours. So hold that thought my guy. Don’t tell me about not having time. 😑 But I still find time to tap in and browse around.
 
I mean... most of us do have lives outside of this. I have a full time job, plus school, so I have very little time in between and messing around on here is very low on my priority list. Often I have no time during the week and only one day during the weekend to do stuff aside from work and school.
I can totally respect the fact that you're busy and that CA guns is not your life, but then it's probably best that you don't post in the marketplace as the seller and potentially leave people hanging for a week or more. Not only are they waiting on you for an answer as to whether they're going to buy your firearm, but when you don't reply and they miss out on yours they may be missing out on other opportunities as well. Just food for thought
 
My guy I work 7 days a week, 5 days a week as a hvac tech and on weekends a part time rn/ phlebotomist on weekends where shifts last 14 hours. So hold that thought my guy. Don’t tell me about not having time. 😑 But I still find time to tap in and browse around.
Good for you. Not all of us have that luxury. I will get around to PM"s when I get to them, I'm not obligated to reply just because you demand it, just like I reply to texts at my convenience, not anyone else's demand.
 
I can totally respect the fact that you're busy and that CA guns is not your life, but then it's probably best that you don't post in the marketplace as the seller and potentially leave people hanging for a week or more. Not only are they waiting on you for an answer as to whether they're going to buy your firearm, but when you don't reply and they miss out on yours they may be missing out on other opportunities as well. Just food for thought
As I told the other guy, there is nothing preventing me from posting, and there is nothing preventing you from being patient. If you don't like waiting, then that's your prerogative, but just because you think everyone should jump at your beck and call doesn't mean I do, I'll get to it when I get to it, regardless of what others think.
 
I guess you and I have different thoughts on how things work. If I were to post on your thread that I will take it and send you a private message that I'd like to buy your firearm, exactly how long am I supposed to wait for a response until I move on? Let's say I do that and two days later something else comes up and I end up saying you know what I haven't heard from the guy I think I'll just buy the other gun instead and then when you finally do contact me I tell you sorry I bought something else. If that happened to me as the seller I'd be a little upset, but then again as somebody who participates in the marketplace quite a bit I try and have more respect for the other people that are also participating in the marketplace. If you list something for sale, you should have the decency to respond to people within a certain amount of time that's reasonable. Don't try and deflect it on to the buyer that they're being impatient just because you are busy and you couldn't get back to them for a week. That's not how buying and selling generally works. I don't know about you, but if I put something up for sale and somebody wants to give me money for it, I jump on it before the person changes their mind. Imagine if you had an appointment with that person on a particular day to meet at an FFL to do the transfer and a couple hours before they said I changed my mind. I'm sure you'd be pissed off and rightfully so. Well, that's essentially what you're doing to a buyer by not responding to them in an adequate amount of time. Mutual respect for each other. Like I said before to each his own and everybody handles their business differently, but I would think the majority of people that partake in the marketplace would tend to agree with what I'm saying. I don't know if you were ever a cal guns member before the website went retarded, but I've literally done hundreds of transactions in the marketplace and I can assure you your thought process wouldn't go over very well there, and in time will probably wear thin with members here as well
 
Last edited:
Responding to an email within 1 day seems reasonable to me. Only takes 2 seconds. Great full for the itrader system here. Robdog1 has a neutral rating.
I know he said he was so busy that this isn't his priority and that sometimes he can't get back to this for very extended periods of time, but if I had to bet my entire gun collection I can assure you that during that time where he wasn't able to respond to an email from a potential buyer that he probably sent out 200 texts messages to his friends and updated his social media profile dozens of times
 
The one seller i had to pester to respond never left feedback after a succeful transaction and even after I left him positive feedback. Flakes are going to be flaky.

The problem with leaving buyers hanging is opportunity cost. They're trying to get the seller to respond and are missing other opportunities and wasting time trying to buy what someone is ostensibly trying to sell.

This is not about control so much as common courtesy and not wasting anyone's time and causing them to miss other opportunities (opportunity cost).
 
Playing devils advocate here.

...If I were to post on your thread that I will take it and send you a private message that I'd like to buy your firearm, exactly how long am I supposed to wait for a response until I move on?

As little time or as much time as you want, it's entirely up to you.

Should you decide to spend your money somewhere else, simply post on the seller's thread (or send a PM, depending on how you originally contacted the seller), something like:
"Since I have not heard from you, my "I'll take it" offer is rescinded, I've decided to spend the money on something else.""

Or in the original offer include "This I'll take it offer is only valid if you respond to me that we have a deal within 48 hours (or pick you time limit pain thresh hold)", with your offer.

The problem with leaving buyers hanging is opportunity cost...

If you see something else you want, rescind your offer and go get the other item,
Or budget more money so you can buy both.


Exiting devils advocate mode.
I completely under stand the frustration with non-responsive sellers.
Sometimes it's best to just move on to the next item you need to have. Who knows, you might be dodging a bullet (pun intended) unknowingly.
 
Last edited:
I also admit sometimes I can be a bit non-responsive. Some folks have hit me up for my stuff but I haven't had the time to properly meet up with the amount of travel and projects I'm working on. Life happens. That's the difference between peer-to-peer vs business. This is more selling extra's vs a business. There's people who take it more or less seriously but in the end its still pretty casual.
 
Back
Top Bottom