18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Suggestions on my first two firearms to get?

The M&P 2.0 is what I have and I really like it, but the CA-compliant version does not come optic ready. You’d have to separately buy the slide. Also, beware the S&W 10 round mags. They are impossible stiff for the 10th round and are basically 9 round mags.

This gun is severely crippled by CA laws. I think the PDP is a better bet here. It has the LCI at the top but at least it’s optic ready.
 
The M&P 2.0 is what I have and I really like it, but the CA-compliant version does not come optic ready. You’d have to separately buy the slide. Also, beware the S&W 10 round mags. They are impossible stiff for the 10th round and are basically 9 round mags.

This gun is severely crippled by CA laws. I think the PDP is a better bet here. It has the LCI at the top but at least it’s optic ready.
The more recent 2.0 is optic ready
 
The M&P 2.0 is what I have and I really like it, but the CA-compliant version does not come optic ready. You’d have to separately buy the slide. Also, beware the S&W 10 round mags. They are impossible stiff for the 10th round and are basically 9 round mags.

This gun is severely crippled by CA laws. I think the PDP is a better bet here. It has the LCI at the top but at least it’s optic ready.
it's actually the opposite now, you can only get the optic ready M&P they stopped selling the non-optic ready versions.
 
Staccato HD
VP9
Shadow Systems MR920 or XR920
M&P 2.0 polymer or metal frame
PDP
P365 Xmacro
Echelon
Rost Martin
Hellcat
Taurus Gx2
 
Shadow Systems MR920 + Ruger PC carbine for the Glock mag compatibility

P365 XMacro + Ruger 10/22 takedown for flexibility and portability
 
I think a 9mm Glock should be first. I have two 34’s identically equipped. One is my bedside gun. The other is hidden elsewhere in my home.

Your second gun should be a 12 gauge shotgun with 00 buckshot.

After that, get what you want.
It makes for a fun conversation on the order of things. A pistol, shotgun, rifle, 22 rifle and pistol are all well worth owning. If I had to cut down to two, I’d probably want a shotgun and pistol. However, if someone wanted a rifle and a pistol, I could see arguments being made that way as well. Training early with what you own is probably critical as well.
 
$700 and safety/defense and also for fun to take to the range.
Featureless AR15 psa special if you can find it, and an echelon/9mm mid to full size pistol like everyone suggests here. If no ar, get a 10/22

Simple as that for reasons others have already said. Your budget will need to factor in a reliable optic as well. Buy once, cry once is incredibly true in firearms
 
Damn I got fleeced 😞
Don't worry my dude same thing happened to me, just bought my MP 2.0 and then turners Reseda had the sale on the old model.

All in all I'm still happy I got the gun I wanted, and I already got me some goodies to make it better when I pick up next weekend.
 
No judgements. Just open conversations and opinions here as adults 👍🏽
Fair enough. I have a couple of suggestions that should fulfill your criteria. I believe you said that your budget was ~$700 and you wanted two firearms. I believe you also stated that you would like a pistol for primary defense and range fun and a second firearm, mostly for the range. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I see a lot of good suggestions on here, and I'm not arguing against any of them. However, if you just want a couple of simple firearms that fit all of your criteria (especially the budget), I'd suggest two that I personally own and have had zero issues with.

For the first, the handgun, I'd suggest a first Gen Springfield XD in 4" or 5" in 9mm. If you're not planning on concealing, the 5" might be the better choice. The 4" though, is the one I have and not impossible to conceal. You have a rail on the bottom of the frame to attach a light for home defense. That's it. Upgrades are available, though not as plentiful as many other platforms. I don't recall upgrades being a part of your post though, so if you're looking for a simple, easy solution with an actual military pedigree, this is a solid option in the $500-550 range. Used examples are going for quite a bit less.

For the second, the rifle, I'd suggest a Rossi RS22 in .22LR. Again, not as fancy as some other suggestions, but one I've had a lot of fun with. For right around $150 you get a synthetic Monte Carlo stock (numerous color options), adjustable fiber optic front and rear sights, sling studs, removable magazine (interchangeable with the Mossberg 702 Plinkster), and a dovetail receiver, so you could mount a scope in the future. And the whole thing weighs in right around 4 pounds.

There you have it! Reliable budget options that I can personally recommend.
 
For the first, the handgun, I'd suggest a first Gen Springfield XD in 4" or 5" in 9mm. If you're not planning on concealing, the 5" might be the better choice. The 4" though, is the one I have and not impossible to conceal. You have a rail on the bottom of the frame to attach a light for home defense. That's it. Upgrades are available, though not as plentiful as many other platforms. I don't recall upgrades being a part of your post though, so if you're looking for a simple, easy solution with an actual military pedigree, this is a solid option in the $500-550 range. Used examples are going for quite a bit less.

I agree with this. I started my striker fire journey with the XD9 4". I swapped to the OSP slide and added an optic, added Talon Grips, and a TLR-1HL light. It's my main carry right now (until I renew and add my Echelon 4.0C) and love it. Extremely reliable and no issues.
 
If that is the case and you have a G26, get the Advantage arms slide adapter (you can get them for $150-200 used). Cheaper and has hardly any recoil + cheaper rounds. Like having 2 guns in one and buys you more range time to form an opinion for your 2nd firearm.
I second this: The AA .22 kits are good quality, and really great for training.

DO NOT GET A GLOCK 26
My fat fingers will absolutely not cooperate with a 26; what are your thoughts on the 19?
 
I second this: The AA .22 kits are good quality, and really great for training.


My fat fingers will absolutely not cooperate with a 26; what are your thoughts on the 19?
they are very similar the 26 is just shorter.
 
I get the impression that though you are asking a question, what you really want is affirmation to follow your heart…get a 1911.

You’ve had a Glock before and didn’t feel love, maybe you wonder if love can even exist…get a 1911.

You’ll feel the exhilaration of the Fudd coursing through your veins as you bask in the legacy of John Moses Browning…get a 1911.

Now is the time! Jump into your Tesla, crank up up the volume on “Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition”, stick on a fake mustache (or not) and…get a 1911.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again:
There are two types of handgun. One of them is the 1911.
 
For defense? Shotgun.
For fun and plinking? 10/22
For building, modifying, learning? Glock 19 or PSA PA15
 
Back
Top Bottom