18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Possible subforum idea?

H. Bowman

Well-known member
Messages
862
"Special skills and advice" subforum, or something similar?

One of the great things about OT on calguns, I always thought, was that you could pop in and ask a random question about just about anything and SOMEone there was an expert on it. Has there been any thought of a narrowly focused "not gun related but I have a question and would like some advice on 'stuff'" subforum? Keeps the 🐚s and the politics and such out of it, but retains the super ultra helpful community aspect of a wide swath of people knowing skills they enjoy sharing, that we don't even know exist.

As I type that I remember ikeo mentioning that he was hoping Calguns would come back up and that stuff could stay in OT there, so maybe not, but I've always thought it was the most valuable resource, besides staying current on 2a stuff, of the old Calguns.

Advice on anything from books to read to how to replace subfloors in a house to how to set timing on an old mopar to the depth that japanese maple treelings need to be planted at when it's going to be in the teens half the winter, etc etc etc. Yea, all that can be found on other forums and in other places, but I always felt it was one of the greatest strengths of the big old calguns community.

Brainstorming, as I am reading and researching the best way to make my ~6k square foot lawn look nice and how to replant it since it's just dirt and some random weeds since I bought the place almost 2 years ago...and realizing I should have done it 6 weeks ago instead of in the spring. :ROFLMAO:
(As I typed the thread title, it gave me a "is this already being discussed?" drop down with "suggest removing unnecessary subforums" thread which I have to go read now. HAhahah. That drop down feature is cool. I like it.
 
I second this idea. One of the things I really found useful about CGN was the ability to tap a seemingly unlimited resource of technical, mechanical, and skilled trades experts that hung out in OT.
 
I mentioned this 'lost resource' in the "Will there be an OT" discussion back in October; it didn't get much traction. But that discussion was strictly "OT" oriented, and OT was generally a mess. Putting restrictions on non-firearm "DIY" topic advise might pull better (there's already Gunsmithing Corner).

Barring this, just post questions to the General Discussion/Casual Corner forum; same idea as those questions were posted in OT.
 
Back
Top Bottom