18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

New Features Added & Suggestions

Small request, not of overwhelming importance:

The overview page shows the subforums, starting with General Discussion, New here, Site Feedback, and so on. Looking at that page, I can't tell whether a subforum has new content or not. Once I go into a subforum, I can see which threads have new content, by their thread names being boldface or not. Can we turn on boldface-vs-regular also for the whole subforums? I know it can be done in XenForo, because other forums have it.

While I'm complaining: Even within a subforum, the difference between regular and boldface font for the thread names is not very noticeable, as the font doesn't change width a lot. And there is no hint with color. Can we make that difference bigger? Here is a screen shot from another XenForo forum, to show making it easy to see what has new content:
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 9.25.50 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 9.25.50 PM.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 2
The overview page shows the subforums, starting with General Discussion, New here, Site Feedback, and so on. Looking at that page, I can't tell whether a subforum has new content or not.
Can you attach a screen shot of what you see? There should be a new tag, plus a filled bubble in the new theme, if you're using it.

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 9.31.17 PM.png
 
Can you attach a screen shot of what you see? There should be a new tag, plus a filled bubble in the new theme, if you're using it.
Yes, there is a bright orange "New" tag, which I completely missed. And I can't even claim bad eyesight as an excuse, since I have an EXCELLENT optometrist, and clean glasses. Sorry about that ... ignore me, most other people do too.

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 10.48.11 PM.png
 
Is there a way for users to edit their post after its made? The only edited posts I've seen are from the mods.
 
Is there a way for users to edit their post after its made? The only edited posts I've seen are from the mods.
There's no time limit to edit posts in the forum. There is in conversations to 15 minutes. This is to ensure people don't change prices after the fact. You should be able to edit the post above. Are you not able to? I just checked you can edit, but you cannot delete.
 
There's no time limit to edit posts in the forum. There is in conversations to 15 minutes. This is to ensure people don't change prices after the fact. You should be able to edit the post above. Are you not able to? I just checked you can edit, but you cannot delete.

I can't edit the post I made above. There's no button or menu I see unless I'm missing something...

Never mind I see the edit button. I'm using dark mode and the report and edit buttons are very faint and don't contrast with the gray background. Maybe you can make the text color brighter in dark mode.
 
Maybe you can make the text color brighter in dark mode.

If you hover over the text it highlights. Its faded out to save battery on mobiles, less pixels to brighten. If people say it enough otherwise we’ll leave it for now. thanks for taking the time to comment! Lmk if you find other things.
 
If you hover over the text it highlights. Its faded out to save battery on mobiles, less pixels to brighten. If people say it enough otherwise we’ll leave it for now. thanks for taking the time to comment! Lmk if you find other things.

My point is I didn't see the report or edit texts, and wouldn't know where to hover. There is very little contrast between the text color and background color. It's more of an accessibility feature. But I have middle aged eyes and don't see as well as I used to. Thanks for all your hard work.
 
Last edited:
My point is I didn't see the report or edit texts, and wouldn't know where to hover. There is very little contrast between the text color and background color. It's more of an accessibility feature. But I have middle aged eyes and don't see as well as I used to. Thanks for all your hard work.
I have the same problem; I find switching to light mode in preferences is a good solution. (I'm strictly a browser user, generally don't care for phone apps.)
 
My point is I didn't see the report or edit texts, and wouldn't know where to hover. There is very little contrast between the text color and background color. It's more of an accessibility feature. But I have middle aged eyes and don't see as well as I used to. Thanks for all your hard work.
As @Librarian mentioned there is a light theme that will help with high contrast. It’s on the top menu bar.

Press the little light bulb to turn on the lights. I tried to give people options. The font is also enlarged.

IMG_2587.jpeg
 
What do all of the symbols next to your screen name mean?

Hover over the "badge". Different Badges are different snapshots in the sites development right now.

Blue Early Bird Retired - Signed up on the first release to Reddit March 26/27 - < 100 given out - Free
Mobile Beta Tester Retired - < 20 First people to test the mobile app and do QA on it to function test. - Free
Reddit badge Retired > 400+ users from r/CAguns available for the first 1k members given out - Free
Coffee cup - $ donated
Blue Jedi - Calguns Verified member - Paid
Green Dragon - Squad Dragon - If we squad or your see a CAguns.net sponsored event and take a picture with the banner at an event, you'll be granted a green dragon. - Free

Thinking about doing this to help getting the word out.

New Badges
*Instagram - Post about us/Story and tag us and you'll get his badge - Free
*Youtube - if you do a feature on us and post a video on your channel - Free

We retire them so there's incentive for early adopters. Plus it helps identify who's been around the longest. We'll add some other free ones down the road as we continue to go. Some paid, some given away, and some as prizes.
 
Unless I'm missing it, there isn't a way to look up all the classifieds that you are watching like a Saved section Offerup or FB marketplace.
 
Can you expound on this, I’ve read it a few times and I’m not understanding?
It's like a scavenger hunt. CAguns will be sponsoring some events. If you take a picture with a banner, post it here and you'll get a green dragon. That or if we squad at the range for a uspsa match. So there are a couple ways to get it.

It's just a way to gamify the badge hunting. They're more of a collectible.
 
It's like a scavenger hunt. CAguns will be sponsoring some events. If you take a picture with a banner, post it here and you'll get a green dragon. That or if we squad at the range for a uspsa match. So there are a couple ways to get it.

It's just a way to gamify the badge hunting. They're more of a collectible.
I see, thank you for clearing that up for me.

How is this going to work across the different geographical regions and shooting disciplines?

I don’t know where the core CAguns Admin are located but if they’re in the Bay Area SoCal wouldn’t have many opportunities for a badge, same for trap, High Power, IDPA, etc to feel the love.
 
I don’t know where the core CAguns Admin are located but if they’re in the Bay Area SoCal wouldn’t have many opportunities for a badge, same for trap, High Power, IDPA, etc to feel the love.
We're just in the beginning stages. As we grow, we'll definitely add more opportunities for that. Right now its still all out of pocket, so its just competitions I'm going to and sponsoring. lol As we get more well known, I'd like to work with more clubs around CA to host/sponsor/collab with events. We have some connections in SoCal we're working on who host events. So they would count as well.

I appreciate the enthusiasm. We're taking steps to grow the site, starting with the ways we know how, learning as we grow.
 
I appreciate the enthusiasm. We're taking steps to grow the site, starting with the ways we know how, learning as we grow.
It looks like you have your core admin doing the heavy lifting, just a thought, you could try adding “associates” or an auxiliary corps that can supplement and fill in gaps for different locations and shooting disciplines.

I’m not volunteering but using myself as an example, my son shoots in the CYSSA, a youth shotgun league. We shoot and travel every weekend to Los Banos, Ione, Sacramento, Davis, Stockton, and Livermore. His state championship will be in the Bay Area and his national championship will be shot in Las Vegas. I’m out with him setting up awnings, barbecuing, keeping score, rain or shine, it wouldn’t be much extra effort to fly the CAguns flag/banner at these events. With 150 student shooters in attendance that’s a lot of exposer.
 
It looks like you have your core admin doing the heavy lifting, just a thought, you could try adding “associates” or an auxiliary corps that can supplement and fill in gaps for different locations and shooting disciplines.
We’ll get there when we get there. The plan is to consistently move forward. We’ve been fortunate to have that happen on Reddit hence the Reddit badges. We have some calgunners and Facebook folks. Well grow, those badge might not reach you right away, but we’ll make steady progress over time. We’re just getting started.
 
Back
Top Bottom