18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

How To: How to Zero a Red Dot Sight (Step-by-Step with Photos)

One should always define terms with tutorials like these before launching into alphabet soup; POI, POA, RDS, etc. Looks pretty good so far, but I see the lack of definitions as an oversight. My optic isn't a red dot, it's a green dot.

I still run across initialsms and acronyms that go undefined. Usually I can figure it out, but sometimes I can't (without Google).

Newer shooters (or those new to optics) would need definitions more than most.
 
Hyper link doesn’t work for me but the downloadable pdf does.
 
Nice post! One thing I would add is when mounting the RDS to push it forward when tightening it down, especially if there's a bit of play on the rails. Would save a new shooter a lot of angst trying to figure out why their zero keeps shifting after shooting
 
One should always define terms with tutorials like these before launching into alphabet soup; POI, POA, RDS, etc. Looks pretty good so far, but I see the lack of definitions as an oversight. My optic isn't a red dot, it's a green dot.

I still run across initialsms and acronyms that go undefined. Usually I can figure it out, but sometimes I can't (without Google).

Newer shooters (or those new to optics) would need definitions more than most.
Someone had requested a guide, so I pulled the PDF from the target tamers website. It covered the essentials. I'll try to add some more PDFs and maybe turn this thread into a zero'ing repository
 
Back
Top Bottom