18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Feedback How do you want us to moderate?

Do you approve of the moderation?

  • Too tough.

    Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Not tough enough.

    Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Just right.

    Votes: 31 66.0%
  • Don't care.

    Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Comment

    Votes: 2 4.3%

  • Total voters
    47
  • Poll closed .
@ikeo1 You seem to have a very good handle on it but since you asked...

My 2 cents on forum moderation
Without good moderation, John Gabriels Greater Internet Theory always proves true. See => https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19/green-blackboards-and-other-anomalies

If the forum was a bar and one customer was always irritating other bar patrons and running off customers would you put up with it?

With good moderation: "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all".

Any non-2A politics should be strongly discouraged. Politics polarizes the readers unnecessarily. Unless politics is the point of the forum why allow it. Gun laws are the obvious exception to this rule.

Non-firearms conversations should be segregated to Off Topic and mildly discouraged. The site is about guns not about travel trailers or salad dressing recipes.

When all else fails “Just don’t be a 🍆” can be the one rule for any forum.
 
Language filters chap my ass. I don't understand their purpose when we're all adults here. I do understand the *intention*, but there has to be a forum feature to toggle a personal language filter off or on in the user cp for those easily offended.

...

The editing of posts grinds my gears. Delete the post or the entire offending interaction, or leave it alone. Don't alter my words. Also an explanation in a pm/dm so that the offender can learn why and how to keep it from happening again. Mods/admins who moderate from the shadows with no ownership of their actions is a chicken-💩 move. Not accusing anyone here at all, just what I've seen in my quarter-century of posting.
I don't like the editing of users' posts.

This begs the question. If Calguns doesn't help itself. Should I just help him? The problem is i would need to move it to my infrastructure in order to scale and theres a lot of work but totally doable if I could have a conversation.

We're pretty open about this and we'll DM but the editing is mainly just to get rid of the unnecessary direct taunts or delete the post. This is why we're asking. It's our observation offensive get offended when its directed to them but shouldn't be when they offend others, the receiver should somehow tolerate it.
You can help TOS. However don't change your vastly superior site to accomodate TOS. Again, I don't like the editing of users. You are doing the Lord's good work Ikeo. Thank you for making this site.
 
Any non-2A politics should be strongly discouraged. Politics polarizes the readers unnecessarily. Unless politics is the point of the forum why allow it. Gun laws are the obvious exception to this rule.

Non-firearms conversations should be segregated to Off Topic and mildly discouraged. The site is about guns not about travel trailers or salad dressing recipes.

I 100% agree with the non-2A politics ban.

I think that there should be no OT sub forum or discussions at all. It is the worst part of the other place.
 
I 100% agree with the non-2A politics ban.

I think that there should be no OT sub forum or discussions at all. It is the worst part of the other place.
I disagree. Although, I didn’t dive too deep in OT over there, OT occasionally had some good conversation
 
I don't like the editing of users' posts.
This is why I’m asking for feedback..

Say there’s a reply, it’s has an actual reply but calls the op a moron, dumb mf, or an imbecile preceding it.

Do you guys suggest deleting the whole comment and issue a warning?

I figure it would be easier just to edit out the offending part
Although, I didn’t dive too deep in OT over there, OT occasionally had some good conversation

This place is more for 2A specific. OT can stay at CGN which is why I think we need both. If I could get run it, i wouldn’t merge the sites. I’d just move the marketplace here. CGN has its own vibe it’s not something I’m trying to recreate here. We have our own. It’s something I think we need to scale the overall community.
 
This is why I’m asking for feedback..

Say there’s a reply, it’s has an actual reply but calls the op a moron, dumb mf, or an imbecile preceding it.

Do you guys suggest deleting the whole comment and issue a warning?

I figure it would be easier just to edit out the offending part


This place is more for 2A specific. OT can stay at CGN which is why I think we need both. If I could get run it, i wouldn’t merge the sites. I’d just move the marketplace here. CGN has its own vibe it’s not something I’m trying to recreate here. We have our own. It’s something I think we need to scale the overall community.
Hey, your site, your rules. Like I said I didn’t frequent OT, but occasionally I’d click on a topic from the “New Posts” tab and find something interesting. For example, I created a thread on TRT here on this forum. IMO, it’s gained a good amount of traction for the size of the forum right now. Technically that is an OT thread for this forum, but it has generated great feedback. It’s something I am intrigued by and interested in, yet I’m not going to go join a health forum and ask that question. I have a good relationship with many people here and trust many of your opinions based on the fact that we share a lot of the same interests and views.

Not having the option to come to a place like this to ask something like that would kind of suck. You can say you’re leaving the OT to CGN, but I don’t really plan on going back over there. For me, I feel like I’ve found my new home.

Now if you said, you’ll be happy to have OT without the “butt stuff” threads? I’m in agreement with that! I could definitely go without needing to see all of that crap. But I do feel there is a place for some off topic threads/conversations with like minded people.
 
This is why I’m asking for feedback..

Say there’s a reply, it’s has an actual reply but calls the op a moron, dumb mf, or an imbecile preceding it.

Do you guys suggest deleting the whole comment and issue a warning?

I figure it would be easier just to edit out the offending part
You know, at first I thought it was lame to edit, but after thinking more on it, there’s definitely times my posts get out of line. I think I’ve already had one of my posts edited/deleted. I admit that I may get caught up in the moment, and say something heated that probably didn’t need to be said. But I do believe that if someone asks an opinion of something, they should be open to both sides and not get butt hurt when someone says something they don’t necessarily want to hear. Could I just close the thread, move along, and not give my opinion? Sure! But does OP want real world answers or everything to be sugarcoated to what they want to hear?

Which brings up another question I have for you, @ikeo1
I was going to DM you on it, but figured I’d ask publicly in case anybody else has the same question.
I’ve had couple places that offer firearms service, return horrible work, or just poor service. Are you okay with us creating threads giving feedback of said companies? I understand you probably wouldn’t want a huge bashing thread, but it also serves the community to know what companies should/can be trusted/not trusted
 
But I do feel there is a place for some off topic threads/conversations with like minded people.
Yeah, I mentioned the only hard line is really Religion and Politicking. Wellness is ok.
Since this has turned into a suggestion thread
It’s not. You can make suggestions in the site feedback forum though.

We wouldn’t have scammers because we wouldn’t have people.. lol IMO you get their info at ppt
 
Yeah, I mentioned the only hard line is really Religion and Politicking. Wellness is ok.

It’s not. You can make suggestions in the site feedback forum though.

We wouldn’t have scammers because we wouldn’t have people.. lol IMO you get their info at ppt
There is another gun forum I am on where that is the rule. works quite well TBH

And for FTF stuff, sure.
 
since being here, I haven’t noticed until recently any moderating. That recent incident of someone saying “I don’t know what tapped to my post but…” and a moderator later saying “yeah I deleted it” and that was it. Nothing else was said.

As long as any moderation is transparent to the person (not the thread and indirectly the community), it should be good.

I have been on a few forums where the mods and owners created shill moderator accounts to abuse their power and their real accounts they were cool.

Like others have stated here, as long as the mods or admin/owner don’t let this get to their head, it’s all good.
 
Like others have stated here, as long as the mods or admin/owner don’t let this get to their head, it’s all good.
TBH, I'm not sure what this entails. We just don't want flame wars. We're not trying to ban anyone, we're not trying to change what anyone says, we just don't want internet arguments. It wastes everyone time and resources.
 
This is why I’m asking for feedback..

Say there’s a reply, it’s has an actual reply but calls the op a moron, dumb mf, or an imbecile preceding it.

Do you guys suggest deleting the whole comment and issue a warning?

I figure it would be easier just to edit out the offending part


This place is more for 2A specific. OT can stay at CGN which is why I think we need both. If I could get run it, i wouldn’t merge the sites. I’d just move the marketplace here. CGN has its own vibe it’s not something I’m trying to recreate here. We have our own. It’s something I think we need to scale the overall community.
4chan style (USER WAS BANNED/WARNED FOR THIS POST) would be much more preferred. Have never seen good things come of mods/admins editing users content no matter how offensive.

If it is really that obscenely bad, delete the comment
 
4chan style (USER WAS BANNED/WARNED FOR THIS POST) would be much more preferred. Have never seen good things come of mods/admins editing users content no matter how offensive.

If it is really that obscenely bad, delete the comment
The thing is, here its not obscene, its passive aggressive to ride that grey line...

However, i think i've seen enough. Since you guys don't like the editing, a warning will be given and the entire post removed regardless of content. Seems a bit like over moderating to me but if that's what ya'll prefer.

I just want to be clear disrespecting other members will be heavily discouraged. We don't want to spend time moderating if we don't have to. We'd much rather be building stuff you want. Eventually, we'll add some moderators though to keep things going cause that's not my specialty.

Thanks for the input everyone. We'll try it out for a bit.
 
This is why I’m asking for feedback..

Say there’s a reply, it’s has an actual reply but calls the op a moron, dumb mf, or an imbecile preceding it.

Do you guys suggest deleting the whole comment and issue a warning?

I figure it would be easier just to edit out the offending part

I don't like editing or deleting of users' posts. The forum needs moderation... I think deleting with a warning is the less unpleasant of the two.
 
TBH, I'm not sure what this entails.

Well the facts are that several mods at the other place will allow certain topics / certain users to berate or flame others if they agree with their position. Usually politics or abortion or God forbid someone suggest "reasonable" gun control and then you can hammer that person all you want.

Criticisms of religion and or Right to Life issues will usually get you a time out or ban.

Like I said before, no politics or OT and we should be GTG
 
I wish you good luck on keeping politics out of a firearms forum based in California for California firearm owners and those that may have interests in sport/self defense.

I've been active in politely rattling politicos cages since Clair Burgener was a congress critter; both state and federal officials. That was the days you hand write it and then lick'em, stick'em and post it.

I do not mean anything negative. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it did not bode well for another firearms site a few years back. Forums not so intertwined with ever changing laws and regulations that can get one into some serious trouble may very well succeed being political free.

I sincerely wish you best. (y)

Respectfully
Kyle
 
Back
Top Bottom