18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Hello from Oakland

tknxx

⚠️ New Member | No Deposits ☢️
Messages
19
Hi everyone! Just joined this forum after going to the range recently for a safety course and really enjoying it. Haven't fired a gun in about 25 years before that... and that was just a ROTC class on the M16.

Anyway, now just hunting for my first handgun - a VP9L OR, which is hard to find in stock around here, and thinking about a couple of rifles.
 
VP9L OR isn't really out yet, it's on the roster but not stocked anywhere yet. A good alternative (and cheaper and arguably better) would be an M&P 2.0 and sending the slide to Wager or Nameless to get an optic cut. We don't really have any good optic ready options here unfortunately.
 
Welcome to the site.
As far as a VP9L OR what makes that your specific interest may I ask?
There are many high quality pistols out there with pretty much the same features for much less, the Rost Martin looks quite interesting.
 
Greetings!

M&P 2.0 with an apex kit makes one of the finest striker fired guns.
This is my gun of choice (off roster ones I have) but just don’t get why they haven’t released an optic ready Cali version. The new triggers are way better than the old hinge but yes the apex takes it to another level.
 
This is my gun of choice (off roster ones I have) but just don’t get why they haven’t released an optic ready Cali version. The new triggers are way better than the old hinge but yes the apex takes it to another level.
probably because of the LCI, my M&P I just bought an oem slide and barrel with no LCI and had it milled, though i'm not sure it's necessary to get the non-LCI slide, I think most of the gas that gets the optic dirty when you have the LCI taken out is actually from the LCI barrel so you can probably get away with just changing that out and use the CA slide as is. I do prefer just milling it vs optic ready because you don't need a plate and it can sit lower.
 
Floyd’s custom will close up the lci when they do an optic cut.
 
I learned on the Glock and I didn't like the handle angle. I did like the S&W quite a bit actually but the VP9L just felt the most comfortable. And the sizable grip was a huge deal for me since I have really large hands.

Unfortunately the VP9L I got to handle was sold so I have to wait for more to come in.
 
The VP9L OR is a solid choice, and no need to send it anywhere after purchase, haha!!
 
Back
Top Bottom