18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Determing value on off roster pistol

natureboy16

⚠️ New Member | No Deposits ☢️
Messages
1
Classified ads
1
Hi folks. So I have a P220 Scorpion Elite 45 (off roster) pistol w case and 2 mags but need some help determining what you think the value may be. I've searched on the classifieds and can't find any of those for sale, nor can I even find any that have ever been for sale on Calguns.

How would one fairly value something with no references to what they may be going for in Cal? The interwebs are saying that possibly a value in California would be between 12 and 1400 but I don't know if that's even in the ballpark.

Thanks for any help you can give!
 
Once you get a price this is going to be removed.
 
Actually, I spend a lot of time looking at P220 values. I love the P220 series pistol and have over 10,000 rounds through mine. Before I found a P227 in CA for a good deal, i was looking for another P220. My take is the P220 has two things detracting its resale: 1. .45 ACP isn’t as popular as 9 mm so less buyers so results in lower pricing 2. DA/SA Sigs are no longer trendy as striker fired pistols so lower market interest. Don’t get me wrong, I think the classic DA/SA pistols from Sig are some of the best pistols every made and I think .45 ACP is a fantastic self defense round. I saw a used P220 in LA going for $550. I’ve seen some P220s here in the $700-800 range. With a little patience I think one can easily be picked up for at or under $700. The P220 I almost bought was an all stainless one that was going for $1000. As for the off roster nature of the P220. Unlike the P226, Sig never redesigned the extractor on the P220 like they did on the P226. New P226s in CA require LCI and mag disconnect, new P220s don’t. As such, an off roster P220 isn’t as advantageous as would be an off roster P226 (or older P226 before it required LCI and mag disconnect). I’ve seen folks asking large premiums on off roster P220s but I doubt the move given what I’ve mentioned above. I can’t tell you what to charge. You need to decide. Also keep in mind, about 3 times a year a P227 will be sale here. They never made teh CA drop list and can be only had via off roster. There, I think folks can ask a premium but not a huge one otherwise they sit here. I got my P227 for $1,000. I love the P220 but I think the P227 was perfection of the DA/SA Sig .45 ACP. It is sad they didn’t sell as well.
 
Actually, I spend a lot of time looking at P220 values. I love the P220 series pistol and have over 10,000 rounds through mine. Before I found a P227 in CA for a good deal, i was looking for another P220. My take is the P220 has two things detracting its resale: 1. .45 ACP isn’t as popular as 9 mm so less buyers so results in lower pricing 2. DA/SA Sigs are no longer trendy as striker fired pistols so lower market interest. Don’t get me wrong, I think the classic DA/SA pistols from Sig are some of the best pistols every made and I think .45 ACP is a fantastic self defense round. I saw a used P220 in LA going for $550. I’ve seen some P220s here in the $700-800 range. With a little patience I think one can easily be picked up for at or under $700. The P220 I almost bought was an all stainless one that was going for $1000. As for the off roster nature of the P220. Unlike the P226, Sig never redesigned the extractor on the P220 like they did on the P226. New P226s in CA require LCI and mag disconnect, new P220s don’t. As such, an off roster P220 isn’t as advantageous as would be an off roster P226 (or older P226 before it required LCI and mag disconnect). I’ve seen folks asking large premiums on off roster P220s but I doubt the move given what I’ve mentioned above. I can’t tell you what to charge. You need to decide. Also keep in mind, about 3 times a year a P227 will be sale here. They never made teh CA drop list and can be only had via off roster. There, I think folks can ask a premium but not a huge one otherwise they sit here. I got my P227 for $1,000. I love the P220 but I think the P227 was perfection of the DA/SA Sig .45 ACP. It is sad they didn’t sell as well.
Yep, wouldn't buy it since it's in .45 personally
 
Yep, wouldn't buy it since it's in .45 personally
As I’ve gotten older and developed arthritis in my hands, they aren’t as fun to shoot as they used to be. My last 45 was the P227 as that was my grail gun. Moving forward mostly 9 mm though I really want a G32 to see how the .357 Sig recoil compares to my P229 .357 Sig. I can shoot .357 Sig almost about as good as a 9 mm. To me, a .357 Sig is basically a 125 grain 9 mm traveling at 1400 FPS give or take. yes, expensive but can supplment much of the practice with a 9 mm.
 
Seriously all you have to do is upload pictures to google gemini and it will give you the most accurate valuation of anyone here. Its that simple these days.
 
As I’ve gotten older and developed arthritis in my hands, they aren’t as fun to shoot as they used to be. My last 45 was the P227 as that was my grail gun. Moving forward mostly 9 mm though I really want a G32 to see how the .357 Sig recoil compares to my P229 .357 Sig. I can shoot .357 Sig almost about as good as a 9 mm. To me, a .357 Sig is basically a 125 grain 9 mm traveling at 1400 FPS give or take. yes, expensive but can supplment much of the practice with a 9 mm.
Interesting as I'd rather fire a 45 any day of the week over a 9mm with regard to recoil. 9mm is much snappier on the wrist than a 45.
 
In my experience, depending on what gun, usually +$500 from what it cost new. Obviously there are exceptions to that
 
As I’ve gotten older and developed arthritis in my hands, they aren’t as fun to shoot as they used to be.
I can’t find the article online right now, but John Markwell developed a low-recoil .45 ACP handload called the "Geezer Load" to make shooting comfortable for people with joint pain. I loaded up four ammo cans full several years ago, and I still have some left. They are accurate, fun to shoot, and great for training too. Here is the gist of Markwell’s Geezer Load:
IMG_2419.webp
IMG_2420.webp
IMG_2421.webp
 
Interesting as I'd rather fire a 45 any day of the week over a 9mm with regard to recoil. 9mm is much snappier on the wrist than a 45.
Stop shooting light weight bullets. I imagine you shoot 230 ball in 45. Try 147 in 9mm
 
Stop shooting light weight bullets. I imagine you shoot 230 ball in 45. Try 147 in 9mm
yeah when 9mm is subsonic it's very similar. 45 still tends to have more actual recoil according to physics though. but the recoil impulse can feel subjectively "soft"
 
Start with the price you want (1400) and adjust if it doesn't sell. Click the button that says you take offers.
 
I can’t find the article online right now, but John Markwell developed a low-recoil .45 ACP handload called the "Geezer Load" to make shooting comfortable for people with joint pain. I loaded up four ammo cans full several years ago, and I still have some left. They are accurate, fun to shoot, and great for training too. Here is the gist of Markwell’s Geezer Load:
View attachment 242426
View attachment 242427
View attachment 242428
Thanks. Will look into it.
 
Back
Top Bottom