18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Poll Calguns Data Migration Round 2 - Aug 3

Take a survey

How long til they come back up?

  • On Schedule - Monday

    Votes: 3 1.8%
  • 1 week

    Votes: 8 4.9%
  • 2 weeks

    Votes: 68 41.5%
  • 2 more weeks!

    Votes: 85 51.8%

  • Total voters
    164
you guys fail to see the real reason for the problems. Its not server issues, cpu, load balancer, or anything. It is not a technical problem. The dude is in over his head, he doesn't know what to do, and he doesn't care to fix the issue. He's also too stubborn to give it up, or sell it. And the sponsors are still too stupid to see the problem and probably continue to pay.

Then you have all these fools continuing to pay their "loyalty" sponsorship payments because they want to support. Thats like handing out cash to a drug addict so they can buy more drugs cuz you feel sorry for them.

I don't hate calguns or the guy that runs it. I don't know him. But what I can tell you is that what he's doing to all of california is completely unacceptable.
 
Thanks again for all the hard work putting this site together. It won't be long before new users and sponsors will flocking to this site. I used calguns.net off and on for 7 years. The experience over the past year has just been abysmal. It was time for a change. Overall this is great work and exponential growth will follow.

By saying this I am not taking anything away from calguns.net and what they contributed to the CA 2a community. But, change was long over due....
 
I've been trying over the last couple of days and the site is just broken. Takes forever to either load a page or I get a bad gateway error. Super frustrating.
 
Still sluggish and still getting random Gateway timeout's myself.

Same. I'm getting either timeouts or 504's and it's a crapshoot if the site eventually loads or my posts go through. I think I'm about done over there.
 
Still problems, 15:56
There are currently 2216 users online. 156 members and 2060 guests.

As others have noted, that number of guests seems to be a bit strange; since it's running so poorly, members may not be able to successfully log in, but not at the 2000 level.

No information to speculate on.

EDIT: I wondered if I could find typical, in better times users online numbers; Internet Wayback machine seems not to have captured that.
 
Last edited:
Cal
Still problems, 15:56


As others have noted, that number of guests seems to be a bit strange; since it's running so poorly, members may not be able to successfully log in, but not at the 2000 level.

No information to speculate on.

EDIT: I wondered if I could find typical, in better times users online numbers; Internet Wayback machine seems not to have captured that.
Command_liner understands what the technical issue is, but not the root cause, i think it's a multi-layered issue. There's a few things that are happening that cause the problem. It's like undoing a complex knot. If I were to undo it. there's a few places I'd look at. Everyone trying to help is pointing at the right area but there's a systematic way to approach each issue you guys are pointing out.

The most recent response others ask to convert the db, but there's resistance to hire a third party. He want a free converter to do it. Even if the site were to go to me, I'd hire a third party for some tasks. It kinda has to be done, IMO. He will have to spend $$ to fix it in one way or another.

For this place, I've spent a considerable amount on startup costs here and made some relationships with developers. This is ultimately, the approach I'm going with for the longevity of this site. If you want a nice site, gotta go beyond low cost mentality.
 
There is no free lunch if you want something that works, and you want to own it. Will be interesting to see if that site dies a slow death as more members bail, but I don’t know how it actually earns revenue, or how much. Is it advertising, donations, or something else? I have seen some folks who are “lifetime contributors”, but I don’t know what that really means. Did they get some special service/access that those who don’t pay get? And was there a fee schedule one had to follow for that? It would be crappy if someone had been contributing for a long time, and one day all of a sudden it was gone. On the other hand, perhaps it will come back. But as more people find about this site, it will grow bigger, and some such as myself won’t bother, because we are impatient waiting for stuff to load that most of the time never does.
 
There is no free lunch if you want something that works, and you want to own it. Will be interesting to see if that site dies a slow death as more members bail, but I don’t know how it actually earns revenue, or how much. Is it advertising, donations, or something else? I have seen some folks who are “lifetime contributors”, but I don’t know what that really means. Did they get some special service/access that those who don’t pay get? And was there a fee schedule one had to follow for that? It would be crappy if someone had been contributing for a long time, and one day all of a sudden it was gone. On the other hand, perhaps it will come back. But as more people find about this site, it will grow bigger, and some such as myself won’t bother, because we are impatient waiting for stuff to load that most of the time never does.

‘Lifetime’ was a one-time $300 (iirc) payment to support the site vs paying per month.

I paid it in 2010 and got the fancy dark green ‘CalGuns Contributor - Lifetime’ badge. (BTW, that badge and a dollar gets me a ride on any bus in town, haha!!)

CalGuns was good to me. Met some great folks, got some smoking deals on guns and accessories, and was able to keep up with the insane CA gun laws.

That’s where I learned about the magic of an 03FFL+COE in CA, how to get AOWs, SAE, SSE1, SSE2, and on and on.

Again, hoping for the best with CalGuns, and hoping this site takes off.
 
Again, hoping for the best with CalGuns, and hoping this site takes off.
So do I. They’ve been good to the 2A community as a whole and we hope to be good for the community too. The Calguns community is strong and very patient. I’m constantly amazed but it goes to show the impact they’ve had in California.

I also hope some things change for the better as the result of this..
 
It's clearly underpowered still and I doubt that's going to get addressed anytime soon. It's frustratingly unusable in its current form.
 
It's clearly underpowered still and I doubt that's going to get addressed anytime soon. It's frustratingly unusable in its current form.
IMHO, that's a symptom but not the cause. It's using all available resources but a few things need to be optimized on both software, hardware, and os. I have a list of tasks ready to go, should I get the call. lol. I'm really hoping CGN reaches out. I estimate i might be able to get things stable in 1-2 days while i plan a migration. It wouldn't take long considering i'd prioritize it given the climate. It's just a matter on getting my hands on the data.

 
IMHO, that's a symptom but not the cause. It's using all available resources but a few things need to be optimized on both software, hardware, and os. I have a list of tasks ready to go, should I get the call. lol. I'm really hoping CGN reaches out. I estimate i might be able to get things stable in 1-2 days while i plan a migration. It wouldn't take long considering i'd prioritize it given the climate. It's just a matter on getting my hands on the data.

lets hope he finally cries uncle
 
IMHO, that's a symptom but not the cause. It's using all available resources but a few things need to be optimized on both software, hardware, and os. I have a list of tasks ready to go, should I get the call. lol. I'm really hoping CGN reaches out. I estimate i might be able to get things stable in 1-2 days while i plan a migration. It wouldn't take long considering i'd prioritize it given the climate. It's just a matter on getting my hands on the data.

TBH, I DOUBT they will reach out. I think it’s a ego thing at this point. We don’t doubt you would gladly help, but they didn’t want it when CAguns was maybe an idea, and now that it’s something, they will say that you want to mess it up (super messed up speculation on my end).

It’s respectable that you want to help, but like Ivan Drago says in his interview after he knocked out Apollo creed “if he dies, he dies”.

I HOPE CALGUNS comes back, but all the actions there are telling me otherwise (from experience).
 
TBH, I DOUBT they will reach out. I think it’s a ego thing at this point. We don’t doubt you would gladly help, but they didn’t want it when CAguns was maybe an idea, and now that it’s something, they will say that you want to mess it up (super messed up speculation on my end).

It’s respectable that you want to help, but like Ivan Drago says in his interview after he knocked out Apollo creed “if he dies, he dies”.

I HOPE CALGUNS comes back, but all the actions there are telling me otherwise (from experience).
Sometimes a car will sputter because a lifter needs to be replaced, sometimes those who own that car have no clue how to replace them.
 
Back
Top Bottom