18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Need help with a red dot 🔴 decision

How are you planning to use your Platy? As a range queen? For actual shooting, like tactical or defensive classes? Competition? Or as a defensive tool?

In my case, a 507Comp is what will be going on the Platy that I will be getting.
 
I am also running a 507Comp on my Platy non-comp. I had a SRO with BROs on it earlier but moved it to another gun.
 
Ive had acro, coa on duty guns. Many thousands of rounds no problem.

These days I only run 5moa sros and no irons. Sometimes less is more.
 
SRO is a great fit for a range/competition Platy.
 
How are you planning to use your Platy? As a range queen? For actual shooting, like tactical or defensive classes? Competition? Or as a defensive tool?

In my case, a 507Comp is what will be going on the Platy that I will be getting.
For the range mostly
 
Really doesnt matter. The SRO is plenty good for either.
Agreed 😄

But the 507Comp is cheaper… and honestly, it has really grown on me. I used to have an SRO on my G17 and a 507Comp on my Shadow 2, so yeah… I’m a little biased 😉

My kid’s G34 has a 507Comp, and my new backup defensive G19 with a Radian mount is getting a 507Comp too.

PS: Compared to the 507Comp, I absolutely hated changing the battery on the SRO 😅
 
For my range toys, including my Platypus, I go with the Osight C. A lot less money. Can be found on sale often and in many places and all have held up well for me. I carry with the SE since what I carry uses RMSC, but Osight in general works great and is better value (at least at my level)
 
Last edited:
Leaning more towards sro
It's a good optic. I'd stick with either 2.5 or 5 moa. I prefer 5 moa because it's easier for me keep track of the dot for those quick follow up shots and looks cleaner with my astigmatism.
 
Back
Top Bottom